El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to swap out the rear end in my 85 w/ a 84 Monte posi. My questions is, can I use a floor jack to lower the rear and relieve spring tension instead of compressing or binding the rear springs? I assume that the control arms would still attached during this step, shocks removed and drive shaft removed so the rear end would not shoot off the car (or jack). Any advise would help. I hope to be at Joliet Motor Speedway for Race What You Bring Sept. 16th. Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do yourself and your family a BIG favor and run (don't walk) to your favorite rental store and rent a set of spring compressors for this job. The life you save could be your own! :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You don't need a spring compresser for the rear springs. Remove the lower shock nuts and pull shocks off the studs, raise the body with a floor jack and set jack stands under the frame rails, remove springs. Yes, it is that simple :D The control arm bolts, now thats another story! Air tools and a rust buster typr spray would be a plus. Control arm bolts are 18mm BTW.

·
Banned
881 Posts
CHVYPWR said:
The control arm bolts, now thats another story! Air tools and a rust buster typr spray would be a plus. Control arm bolts are 18mm BTW.
Forget the rust buster spray. All of the bolts and nuts are lock-tighted from the factory. If they've never been removed they're a royal PITA without an 1/2" impact gun.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
87ElCamino said:
CHVYPWR said:
The control arm bolts, now thats another story! Air tools and a rust buster typr spray would be a plus. Control arm bolts are 18mm BTW.
Forget the rust buster spray. All of the bolts and nuts are lock-tighted from the factory. If they've never been removed they're a royal PITA without an 1/2" impact gun.

I got lucky with mine. They came off with hand tools :D Only one of them broke.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the new rear went in without a problem. With the drive shaft off and shocks removed, the springs were easy to remove without the use of a spring compressor. By lifting one side of the rear end the opposite side spring just fell out. The whole process took about 1.5 hours with three guys and air tools. Going from the stock 2.41 to a 3.42 is a big kick in the pants. Thanks for all the advise!

·
Banned
881 Posts
Chris85 said:
Well, the new rear went in without a problem.... The whole process took about 1.5 hours with three guys and air tools.
Glad to hear that all went well. How long do you think it would have taken without the air tools?

Good luck at Joliet Motor Speedway!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the pleasure of removing the old control arms of the rear I bought with hand tools. With the help of WD-40 and a little propane torch it took a good 20 min. to remove one bolt. I guess that removal with hand tools would have taken at least twice as long on the one in the car. To make things a little harder, a few years ago my brother used POR-15 on the undercarrige including the control arm bolts making them a little larger than 18mm. Looking forward to Joliet on 9/16/03. My father is going to drive his 93 Vette down too so we can see who has bragging rights around the house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts