El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1972 El Camino SS Tribute
437 Posts
My '69 has a brand new set of TRW station wagon springs with KYB gas shocks and air bags on back. My 72 has the original progressive rate stock springs with leaky Gabriel Hi-Jacker shocks. The 69 has a much firmer ride and sits plenty high with only 6-8 lbs of air in the bags. The 72 has a much softer ride but the back end sits lower than the front if I dont air up the shocks once a month.

Personally, I dont see the point to the air bags unless you plan to tow a trailer, haul something heavy, or take it to the drag strip. It really depends on what you intend to use it for and what kind of ride you are looking for. Both air bags and shocks will leak eventually, so my advice is to go with a good set of springs and gas shocks and not worry about leaky bags, shocks or airlines.

· Registered
742 Posts
Have a 79 with progressive springs, Bilstein shocks , sway bar, and air bags @ 6psi..
Really responds well under high acceleration and a nice firm ride.

Beef up the front as well and you'll have a nice handling Elky.

Arnie in Iowa

· Premium Member
1,134 Posts
The Bags are the Berries ! I went from air shocks to Edelbrock shocks, new stock springs and a pair of Air Ride bags. The ride and handling have improved 200%. I also added a sway bar. Just cruising I keep 7 lbs. of air in them just so they fill the spring and the car hooks up real good even with the 3.73s I'm running. When I'm working and need to haul stuff I'll pump em up enough to hold what I'm carrying and no tire rub with the 255/60/15s I'm running out back.

· Registered
1,381 Posts
I drive like too big of a jerk. I'd blow air bags in less than a week. :nanawrench:

· Registered
24 Posts
I also have the Air Lift bags and Edelbrock shocks. This combo works great if you don't mind a stiff ride. Air shocks are useless if you plan on hauling any cement blocks or thing heavy or towing. This is a truck after all. If you don't plan on hauling anything then get a car. No offense, but I have owned a 1960 then my 1987 since 1981 and used them for what they were intended.

· Premium Member
1,134 Posts
That aint being a jerk that's just showin em what u gut ! I think we all like to get on um, after all what do we build em for. Mine will never be a trailer queen.:beer:
Ride em hard and put em away wet!

· Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I also have the Air Lift bags and Edelbrock shocks. This combo works great if you don't mind a stiff ride. Air shocks are useless if you plan on hauling any cement blocks or thing heavy or towing. This is a truck after all. If you don't plan on hauling anything then get a car. No offense, but I have owned a 1960 then my 1987 since 1981 and used them for what they were intended.
The first cruck I had access to way back then was my brother inlaw's 70 Ranchero. He used to let me take it at night when he got home from work before I had a car and I enjoyed that thing.
My first Elkie was a 74. I'm a Carpenter so by day it was working and after that it was my toy. The same holds true for the 87 I have now. The only difference being that this ones built a little more toward the toy side.

· Registered
144 Posts
I went with the wagon springs, and the Gabriel Hi Jackers. Dont have any problems, and cheaper than the bags. To be the most convenient I recommend going to a salvage yard and pulling the ride leveler kit off a wagon or mini van and putting it on. The biggest pain is looking for a place to add air or carrying a small compressor every time you plan to load it up. However, this type of set up is only good for moderate loads. However, they really arent designed to haul 2000 lbs in the bed anyway. you can only do so much with car suspension, brakes, wheels etc.

· Premium Member
1,134 Posts
When the bags are deflated I think I remember about a two inch space inside the stock hight spring with the weight of the car on them. As soon as you add air they puff out and up.The Air Lift bags only require about 5 lbs of air in them to fill the spring. Thats all the instructions for the install tell you to do is keep the bag full enough to not move around in the spring. As far as lowering springs I guess it depends on how much shorter your springs are from stock. And if they are that much shorter you could probably contact tech support at Air Lift with the hight of your spring or the space you have between the upper and lower spring perches with the car on the ground and they will probably have one to fit your spec.
Ang.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.