El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a shock go bad on 66, kyb gas-a-just, bout 15 years old. I bought some Monroe sensa track shocks, they are coil over shocks, correct application according to website(O'Reily's). I looked at them on Monroe web sight and said 0 drop/lift, but they raised back end a bit, about an inch. Here is where my ?'s start. After I installed them I had son push down on each corner of bed pretty hard and watched underneath. Drivers side shock compressed, as did spring. Passenger side did not. Also the drivers side sits just a little lower, barely noticable. It looks like the spring insulator on pass side is deteriorated, and both springs are 40+ years old, as far as I know. Here are my ?'s
1. Is new shock bad on pass side? Or is spring shot?(I am going to replace as $$ allows) which leads to next ?
2. Eventually I want to put on disk brakes in front w/2in. drop spindles. To lower rear end 2 or 3" to match, can I just change springs or will I need different shocks as well???
I may switch sides with shocks and see if it still doesn't compress. I would like to figure this out soon so I can drive Elco, I don't want to drive w/these new shocks or I may not be able to return them. Sorry if I rambled, any help is appreciated!! thanks, AC:dontknow:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Switched shocks, same issue, must be springs or bushings. All I need to know is, will lowering springs bring back end down or will I need another pair of shocks as well?:dontknow:

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,455 Posts
You might want to put in progressive lowering springs. I put them in mine and it lowered the rear about an inch or so. The springs will get stiffer with the more weight placed in the rear. I'm not sure about the shocks. talk to the people who you got the shocks from or who you get the springs from??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts