El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 87 elky that i'm going to be putting serious horsepower to, and was curious as to the biggest tire that'll fit in the wheelwell, of course it's getting a bolt-in 9". it's also going on a big diet. i'm hoping for approx 800 hp 8O at the tires. i haven't got the tape measure out yet, just putting out a feeler to see what's popular with the drag crowd.

thanks! :lol:

·
Registered
314 Posts
are you talking about with or w/o tubbing it? With that much power you should prolly tub it to get bigger rubber under it.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
jbsjunk, I think that 800HP is great, but you may find it a little too much in an Elky without strengthening the frame such as with a roll cage. Even tho it's a full frame car, it is still prone to twisting with that amount of horsepower. But if thats what your looking to do, go for it. As to your question about tire size, log on to my website at www.theelcaminofactory.freeservers.com and go to COOL LINKS on my links page, I think you will find the info you'll need in the tech section. COOL LINKS was compiled by Phil Patterson who has probably done just about anything imaginable to GM G-bodys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as much as i'd want to tub it. (i want to BAD) money gets in the way, or lack of. i'm figuring, if people are going 8's on drag radials, i should be able to get close once i dial the chassis in, nothing will be stock. but, i don't want to cut this up...........yet. 8O
thanks for the link, i'll check it out later! 8)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Call up some local tire/wheel shops and see if any of them have one of those backspace measuring tools. If not you can make one- basically an adjustable "L" shaped bar that bolts to your wheel hub- extends out as far as you need for the wheel and tire radius, then adjust the other leg of the bar to determind the max backspacing you can have with out hitting the car. I think CHP or Car Craft did an article showing how to make one of those a year or so ago...

I know on the older elkys like my 3rd gen, 10" with 5.5"bs is do-able but a tight fit... Not sure on the 5th gens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 86 ElCamino and I am running a 8" wheel on mine with P275/50R15 BF GoodRich Drag Radials. It is a tight fit but no touching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts