El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've added a third brake light to the roof of my 81 El Camino, which involved taking the metal window molding off the top of the back glass. Unfortunatly I broke two of the 5 clips in the process.
Question: How does that clip work? It's a H shaped clip with a thumb lock inside the hole in the inner roof panel. I don't understand how to remove it or know if it's made to be re-usable. Anybody have any tips on how to get the molding back on the clips?
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey Paul, welcome to the site. If you can, post some pics of the 3rd light you installed. I'm sure a lot of members are wanting to do the same thing so someone may want to do the same as you did. Did you run new wires from the brake light switch or splice in to the existing brake wire? Also, where did you penetrate the cab so that it wont leak?
Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Third Brake Light

The light I used was form a mid 90's Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, or mini & full size vans. It's about 13" long in a black slim line plastic housing with about 18 bright halogen bulbs. I'm to new to be allowed to post pictures. I put it on the roof just in front of the stainless edge molding at the back of the cab. I had to drill 3 holes, two for the stainless steel screws and one for the wires. I used rubber seam dope in all three holes, plus the light has a built in soft seal to keep water out.
I ran two wires (hot & ground) from the roof, through the inner roof panel, then behind the molding to the door piller and down to the floor. Then under the carpet to the brake light switch and the white wire, I grounded it under the dash too.
No feed back and no interference with the turn signals. Just a nice bright stop light to keep the cell phone using, texting idiots behind me from damaging my Elky. I've always thought that the tail lights in the bumper could be missed by the absent minded drivers beind me. Now they'll know when I'm slowing down.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
The light I used was form a mid 90's Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, or mini & full size vans. It's about 13" long in a black slim line plastic housing with about 18 bright halogen bulbs. I'm to new to be allowed to post pictures. I put it on the roof just in front of the stainless edge molding at the back of the cab. I had to drill 3 holes, two for the stainless steel screws and one for the wires. I used rubber seam dope in all three holes, plus the light has a built in soft seal to keep water out.
I ran two wires (hot & ground) from the roof, through the inner roof panel, then behind the molding to the door piller and down to the floor. Then under the carpet to the brake light switch and the white wire, I grounded it under the dash too.
No feed back and no interference with the turn signals. Just a nice bright stop light to keep the cell phone using, texting idiots behind me from damaging my Elky. I've always thought that the tail lights in the bumper could be missed by the absent minded drivers beind me. Now they'll know when I'm slowing down.
Thanks for a very descriptive AND informative post! I too have decided to add a 3rd brake light and was wondering where to tap into the white brake switch wire. I like the way you've described it and will be doing mine the same way. Thanks! :You_Rock:
ps-I have been able to pry my rear window molding off numerous times and replace it without breaking those clips, and reattach the molding with no problems...I just pried it off with a cloth wrapped flat head screwdriver each time.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if you mounted it inside the cab as it sounds, those clips are so easy to brake .i think opg has them. i took the light strip out and only used it in my 86 and tucked it between the moulding and headliner.if you look in the roof panel near the end of the upper trip piece you can see some screw holes used in the early gen 5 elcos i just drilled a matching hole and counter sunk it to use screws instead of the clips .looks factory and you dont need the clips. the way i did my lite it is invisable inside the car .if you look in the efi tank forum you can see the light in the corner of the pic of the fill tube. very discreet and the mouldin stays in place fine

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
This is the light bar I'm planning on installing just below the roof and above the rear window. Tail lights, brake lights, turn signals and reverse lights. Sorry for the blasphlemy and having a Do*ge picture.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the clips have a little finger in the part thet goes into the roof hole .a lot of the time when they are taken off the little lock finger breaks off and the clip wont stay in. if the clip was put in with the lock down you can get it loose without breaking it by useing a screwdriver as mentioned above,if however the clip was installed with the lock pointing up it usually breaks on removal because you cant see if you released the lock tab.if you just yank it off you can also break the part of the clip that holds it into the moulding as well. thats why i screwed mine in like the first gen 5s,no more clips to deal with. prefered to hide my light inside instead of srewing it to the roof for 2 reasons, posible leaks and wind noise. it will be right over your right ear and was afraid it would whistle at some of the speeds i travle at. i like to play deep into tripple digit speeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts