El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will shortly be starting my first rebuild on my 350 out of my 75 Sprint. Ordered some parts and they should arrive anyday now. Decided to go with the Comp Cams K12-234-12 xtreme energy cam w/lifters kit which also includes new valve parts. Also ordered the small block chevy rebuild kit from Enginetech. It includes full gasket set, all piston rings, pistons, timing chain set, oil pump and all bearings.Do i need to use new head bolts or can i get i get by with the old ones. Might just ordering new ones. Is there any other bolts that should be used new ? Which is easier pull the engine by itself or engine and tranny together ? Also bought the book How to rebuild a small block chevy. All advice would be appreciated.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,343 Posts
pull both, that way it's easier to replace the front seal on the transmission, heck better yet replace the gasket, filter and seals.. since it's out, might cost another 100 bucks or so for the gasket kit, but, it's cheap insurance..

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
like Gilby said, pull the whole thing. and to make it easier, remove hood and front clip. and if you go to that extreme then clean up the engine bay and firewall. it's just a lot easier to pull everything from the git-go

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
How did you know what rings and bearings to order without tearing it down and measuring everything first?
You might have gotten the cart before the horse a little.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,071 Posts
I like pulling them together as well. Remember you will need a good fitting extension housing plug to take the place of the transmission slip yoke or you will be swimming in transmission fluid in no time. Pulling the two together is also assisted by the use of a levelling device which eliminates the need to lean on the trans to get it to clear going in and out.

Reuse you head bolts for sure. You can re-use all of your bolts actually. 464elky makes a good point, you can rarely just assume that a motor is std bore anymore, and if there is excessive wear it could mean the pistons are now too small. Lets hope you are okay in that respect.

Tips:
  1. Cleanliness is godliness: Working on an engine should be done in an orderly way, keep your hands, tools and especially the engine clean while you are working on it.
  2. Notes: always take notes. write down the clearances inside the engine as you measure them.
  3. Prelube the engine before starting it
  4. Follow all the instructions for Camshaft break in, because of zinc levels in oil break-in has become a frequent fail issue for some folks.
That's just a few right off the top of my head. Most important of all is don't get intimidated by the size of the project. Rebuilding a small block is not difficult if you are good at following instructions and have an eye for detail.

·
Registered
744 Posts
If this kind of work is new to you, the camera in your phone is your biggest and best friend, especially with regard to which wire you remove, what/how parts are aligned, etc, Another caution is to take your time, and, most importantly, be sure to document and bag everything. I say this because while you may think the project will be completed in a certain time frame, these projects never get completed according to your plan. You'll be surprised how time flies as your project expands and you get side-tracked doing something not originally considered. By the time you get back to reinstalling a piece, you'll be amazed how much you've forgotten...A LOT!

That being said, don't despair...when you finish the amount of satisfaction will be immense, so go for it and enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like pulling them together as well. Remember you will need a good fitting extension housing plug to take the place of the transmission slip yoke or you will be swimming in transmission fluid in no time. Pulling the two together is also assisted by the use of a levelling device which eliminates the need to lean on the trans to get it to clear going in and out.

Reuse you head bolts for sure. You can re-use all of your bolts actually. 464elky makes a good point, you can rarely just assume that a motor is std bore anymore, and if there is excessive wear it could mean the pistons are now too small. Lets hope you are okay in that respect.

Tips:
  1. Cleanliness is godliness: Working on an engine should be done in an orderly way, keep your hands, tools and especially the engine clean while you are working on it.
  2. Notes: always take notes. write down the clearances inside the engine as you measure them.
  3. Prelube the engine before starting it
  4. Follow all the instructions for Camshaft break in, because of zinc levels in oil break-in has become a frequent fail issue for some folks.
That's just a few right off the top of my head. Most important of all is don't get intimidated by the size of the project. Rebuilding a small block is not difficult if you are good at following instructions and have an eye for detail.
I know now should ordered the parts later. But will check everything when it is all apart. Then if have to,will send the rebuild kit back if not the right one just have to pay the return fee.The price is the same for the oversized kits. Just now keeping my fngers crossed that this kit will work. On all the measuring what is the best tool to use. And do most auto supply or rental places have them. Have most tools except harmonic balancer puller/installer.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I say this because while you may think the project will be completed in a certain time frame, these projects never get completed according to your plan. You'll be surprised how time flies as your project expands and you get side-tracked doing something not originally considered. By the time you get back to reinstalling a piece, you'll be amazed how much you've forgotten...A LOT!
57H is right, ask me about my '67 Impala convertible that has been sidetracked for the last 24 years
(actually, don't ask, it's a loooooooooooong story.....)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just getting ready to pull the engine. Looks like my hooker headers might be a little tight. Was wondering if i disconnect them at the collectors will I be able to pull them up and out of the engine bay. Has anybody had this problem before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts