El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 73 el camino with a 350 in it that has about 117000 miles on it, it seems to burn a good deal of oil and im not gettin a lot of power out of it, i was wonderin if i should have it rebuilt or put a new engine in it, and also, can anyone tell me how to find out what kind of transmission i have?

thanks

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that you have a 350 THD trans in your Elky. As far as rebuilding the motor, I guess that would depend on what your plans are for the car...You could rebuild your 350 which has 2 bolt main bearing caps, or if you are planning on building a high performance motor you could look for a 350 with 4 bolt main bearing caps. If you just want to stay with a stock or slightly beefed up motor your motor would be OK as long as it hasn't any cracks in the block and depending on if it has already been rebuilt or not and how much it was bored out if it has been rebuilt in the past. Another alternative would be to buy a remanufactured 350 or a crate motor (with a warranty). You could look for a 350 out of donor car (boneyard) and rebuild that...actually use one out of a Surburban or 1 ton pickup, it would be a 4 bolt main block. You could then have the rebuilt motor ready to drop in when you pull your old motor out. I once pulled a motor, disassembled it, took it to the machine shop, and when they magnafluxed it they found a crack near one of the lifter bores. Took me another week to find another motor which tied up the vehicle that much longer. If you use your Elky as a daily driver, you may want to consider this.

·
1,867 Posts
The oil pan on the th350 is square with one corner missing. Thats how you tell. A 4 bolt main is unecessary unless you plan to do some serious racing & the motor will see high rpm alot. Now a days you can buy a short block for about the same amount as rebuilding yourself. I like to rebuild because then I know what I have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i live in minnesota so im gonna have my elky parked all winter so the time frame isn't really a big deal, so you guys think it would be cheaper to drop in a new one than have it rebuilt? im not planing on doin any racing, but id like to have some performance

·
1,867 Posts
Since time is not an issue then I would do alot of research. Call local parts places & junk yards to see what is available. Call engine shops & ask alot of questions.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
There is no easy way to fix the problem. Rebuild the one you have, build another one, buy a rebuilt one, get one out of a wreck with less mileage, or buy a crate motor...these are pretty much your choices. The 350THD is a good trans as long as you don't try to put it behind a 400+hp motor that has a lot of torque.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts