El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
This was something i was kind of wondering about myself i found a q-jet on a 79 malibu at the junkyard and i like to tinker with stuff but ive never rebuilt a carb before.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Well it depends. If you don't get too far into it's not too difficult. Buy a carb kit and some carb cleaner. Pull the top of the carb, change the needle/seat, accelerator pump, set the float level. Make sure the float is good and not absorbing gas. If in doubt just replace it. Spray some carb cleaner thru all the passages and blow a little compressed air thru them. Then just put it back together with a new gasket. Check that all the linkages move freely, that the butterflies open and close w/o alot of slop. Might not be the highest quality rebuild but should clean it up enough to run decent.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,581 Posts
If you want good results, you have two choices : 1) send it off to a good rebuilder (unfortunately learning nothing in the process), or 2) purchase either the Doug Roe or Jim Ruggles Rochester carb books. If you take the second option, you'll have a reference source that will help for as long as you own a Q-jet equipped vehicle.
Bill

·
Registered
460 Posts
I see you are in Ohio...take it to Chris' Carb Shop in Dayton. He does custom rebuilding, replating, casting, & re-coloring. email: [email protected]. 7718 N. Main St, Dayton, OH 45415. toll free 1-877-498-2272. M-F 7-5, Sat 7-Noon. They know their stuff, Chris is amazing! Charged me $250 for complete rebuild on '87 4-barrel, well worth it, you can't go wrong. I think the last time I check my carb was $400 at Autozone. You might save a few bucks doing it yourself but Chris will guarentee his work for one year! It rans like new! Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Mountain Man Carbs cannot be beat and so many of the members can attest to that,including myself. I realize money is tight right now but some things cannot be short changed. At the price of fuel today it doesn't take very long to realize a savings in a properly built carb.. WP

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it depends. If you don't get too far into it's not too difficult. Buy a carb kit and some carb cleaner. Pull the top of the carb, change the needle/seat, accelerator pump, set the float level. Make sure the float is good and not absorbing gas. If in doubt just replace it. Spray some carb cleaner thru all the passages and blow a little compressed air thru them. Then just put it back together with a new gasket. Check that all the linkages move freely, that the butterflies open and close w/o alot of slop. Might not be the highest quality rebuild but should clean it up enough to run decent.
How do I fix sloppy butterfly ?

Sent from my LS670 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
52 Posts
sounds like it needs new bushing in the bottom plate send it to someone who does it for a living(carb rebuilder)thats what i did for a throttle body I had also had it opened up a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Hmmm, ya know, I have a fantastic q-jet except for one thing: The bushing on the throttle plate is worn out, and it leaks gas/air into #3/5, and it doesn't function well that way. Before it went bad, got 18-20mpg with a 3-spd in the '56.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
DO NOT try to install those bushings yourself unless you have a GOOD drill press - holes have to be drilled exact in size and alignment before they new bushings can go in - one tiny slip and you have a piece of garbage in your hands.

if you can't do that, or know someone you trust to do it correctly for you, send it to a competent rebuilder

·
Registered
105 Posts
I see all kinds of internet links to Mountain Man related carb. work. Which business is the real deal?
Anyone have an address or telephone #? :???:

Thanks

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Q jet carbs are tricky to wirk on, imho. Not a good carb to learn on. Pro results are worth the cost.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I have installed rebuild kits in Quadrajets for years. I's really not that difficult. However, bushings on the shaft is another story -- never tried that, so I can't comment.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Installing the bushings is the easy part, but reaming them to size requires a special reamer, with a pilot on the end of it, to keep the reamer lined up.
When I said special, I also meant expensive:smileyb: The kit for that includes a bunch of bushings, and the tools. for "ONLY" $299.00 !!
That's from Carbs Unlimited, for you folks who want to dive into carb rebuilding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts