El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How common is it for a fairly rechromed front bumper to develop some extensive rust on the inner side? This is not just surface rust, it appears to be 'dug-in', and it's an effort trying to sand it out. Any one have experience with re-chroming, is this typical? - George

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I have had four bumpers rechromed and each of mine are better than new. I would say that whoever did the work on your bumper(s) did substandard work. My bumpers have a lifetime warranty against this type of failure ... perhaps yours do as well. Take them back to where you had the work done and have them do it again ... on their nickle.

Copper

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
It's all in the preparation. If the bumper is not thoroughly pickled (chemically cleaned), de-scaled and polished it will soon start to pit. RUST NEVER SLEEPS !! It is also advisable to keep wax on the pretty side. Once the pitting starts it really can't be stopped.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terry, I didn't think this was common. Unfortunately I bought it on eBay and am wating for a reply from the seller. Thanks - George

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks James, I guess it wasn't done right. You think sanding and some rust prevention covering will work? Of course it's off the car, and I don't want to install a bumper that'll rust in a couple of years. - George

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Terry, I didn't think this was common. Unfortunately I bought it on eBay and am wating for a reply from the seller. Thanks - George

If the resolution to this is that you have to have the bumper(s) rechromed, I can send you the information on the place I used. They aren't cheap, but their work is flawless.

I hope it doesn't come to that though. Maybe the seller will stand behind their product.

Copper

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
George, I suggest you buy a pint of POR (paint over rust) paint if you can't get it warranteed. It chemically turns rust into an indestructable finish, without a lot of prepping or wire brushing. It is not cheap, but really will stop rust PERIOD. It is available in a variety of colors. You only have to do it once and it will work for many years. I have extensive experience with the product on all thinmgs steel.
When I had my business I bought from their store in Whippany, N.J., but it is readily available. A pint will cost you around $30.00. You could buy silver for the backside. It should also seal the polished side from rustingif there is any unseen porosity. Good Luck ! Make sure you buy POR, not a cheap Ebay knockoff brand.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Terry, You got someone up there (Greensboro/W.S.) that actually does re-chroming? It'd be worth the drive to get it done right. George

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Of course it's off the car, and I don't want to install a bumper that'll rust in a couple of years. - George

It's never been on the car? I would try to send the thing back and them and tell them you want a new one, properly done, or your money back. There is no excuse for it rusting just sitting in your garage.

Copper

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx. James & Terry - rusted new bumper

Terry, I'm going to try that P.O.R. application that James (lockjaw) suggested first. But I paid thru the nose on eBay, and hate to sink more money on top of being ripped off. I'll try first to go back to the Seller for some type of refund,.. George

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I use Ebay for many items, but every once in a while someone tries to push junk off on me. With shipping costs so high for a bumper you might be digging a bigger hole for yourself.See if POR has a website to check out their product lines. I guarantee you their products perform 100%.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hey Terry, You got someone up there (Greensboro/W.S.) that actually does re-chroming? It'd be worth the drive to get it done right. George

Well, sort of. The tree huggers have driven all the chroming facilities out of the state but there is a place in Greensboro called Keystone that ships the parts to a facility in Tennessee for the actual chrome work.

Here is their contact information ...
Keystone
6340 Burnt Poplar Road
Greensboro, NC 27409
Phone: 336.292.3180
Fax: 336.292.8661

I had the bumpers on my Austin-Healey done for $242 dollars each. I don't know how that price compares to larger bumpers. The Healey bumpers are tiny little things ... but they did have to do some straightening on them so your's might be a little cheaper.

Keystone only does bumpers. If you have any other chrome work that needs to be done, I can recommend another place. The work is just as good, but they can/will chrome anything. They are a little on the pricey side though.

Copper

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Terry, I'm going to try that P.O.R. application that James (lockjaw) suggested first. But I paid thru the nose on eBay, and hate to sink more money on top of being ripped off. I'll try first to go back to the Seller for some type of refund,.. George

I don't blame you. Heck of a lot cheaper if it works. I agree with LockJaw, POR is great stuff and is darn near indestructible. I'm not sure it will stick to the chrome finish though. Chrome is some pretty slick stuff. In this case, the rustier the better I think.

Copper

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Terry, Good to know, I'll copy the info. on Keystone. Go figure, Keystone Bumpers, Greensboro then to Tenn. Last time I inquired about re-chroming (couple years ago), a company in Ohio did bumper re-chroming. You had to ship the bumper to them & pay for the return, and it cost approx. 75¢ a square inch of every surface area to be chromed. I guesstimated about $ 550.,... and was too much money back then. - George

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
There are a few eBay rip off artists. Here's one way to spot obvious ones. If the part is $50 and shipping is $15 you've got a total of $65. Now if the next seller has the same part for $40 and shipping is $25 the total is also $65. Seems like the same deal until you have a problem and want a refund. Shipping is non-refundable. The seller has set you up for a losing situation should there be a problem. Take a look and you'll see a lot of this happening. :beer:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Places that do chrome plating are getting to be as scarce as hens teeth. I hear there used to be a place near Charlotte that did chrome work. Pretty good place too I understand. They closed up shop several years ago ... driven out of business by regulations.

Nobody is for pollution, but people have gotten completely nuts about stuff. I work for a chemical company. We have to make a report to the EPA if we spill water.

Copper

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Well, sort of. The tree huggers have driven all the chroming facilities out of the state but there is a place in Greensboro called Keystone that ships the parts to a facility in Tennessee for the actual chrome work.
That would probably be Advanced Plating in Nashville.

I want to rechrome my bumpers, but I can't see spending the huge $$ to ship them up front. If these guys were closer, I'd be taking them there in person the first chance I got.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
It is my understanding that the EPA has all but banned the use of nickel in chroming . Chroming was a three step process with nickel being #2. What you get without nickel is called "flash plating". It is the chinese version of what we got before our beloved government and the tree huggers took over D.C. It looks nice until your check clears.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts

I want to rechrome my bumpers, but I can't see spending the huge $$ to ship them up front. If these guys were closer, I'd be taking them there in person the first chance I got.

It is my understanding that the EPA has all but banned the use of nickel in chroming . Chroming was a three step process with nickel being #2. What you get without nickel is called "flash plating". It is the chinese version of what we got before our beloved government and the tree huggers took over D.C. It looks nice until your check clears.

Advanced Plating is the place that I sent the stuff other than my bumpers. I think Keystone operates their own facility somewhere in Tennessee. I think both of these places are a couple of the few places left that do true chrome plating ... with nickle.

My parts were at Advanced Plating during the great flood to 2010. I got my parts back only three weeks late ... despite the fact that they had to move back to a facility they owned 11 years before. That they managed to pull off that relocation in less than a week, had no spills, lost only 8 parts out of 50,000, was only three weeks late on my delivery ... and it was still a fantastic job ... that is the kind of company that I want to do business with.

My parts were returned with a letter enclosed explaining all the above. At the time they had pictures on their website showing the devastation. It was unbelievable the efforts they went to, and the the obstacles they had to overcome.

I just shook my head in wonder.

Copper

·
Registered
1,282 Posts

Try calling the Keystone people ... they are a nationwide company so they may have someplace close(r).
http://www.lkqcorp.com/locations.aspx

They were considerably cheaper then Advanced Plating on the bumpers. I assume it is because since bumpers are all they do and they are optimized for that. I won't try to tell you it was cheap ... but it was cheaper than Advance Plating and the quality, thus far, appears to be first rate.

Copper

1 - 20 of 51 Posts