El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:???: Anyone have luck with decent Air Shocks? Removed my OEM pair because they always leaked, and installed Monroe HD spring shocks,.. Doesn't quite cut it, need to go back to Air Shocks. Any suggestions? - George

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I took out my air shocks awhile back. Replaced them with Bilsteins and air lift air bags inside the moog cargo coils. Ran the new air lines and mounted the fitting as original under the gas door. It's a world of difference! Also have a rear sway bar but the bags/bilsteins really cut down the body roll/sway.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
I didn't like the ride of the airshocks & I went with KYB's gas-a-just shocks with G-body wagon springs with airlift coil springs assist air bags ! Great ride !!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sway Bar part of the F-41 package?

I took out my air shocks awhile back. Replaced them with Bilsteins and air lift air bags inside the moog cargo coils. Ran the new air lines and mounted the fitting as original under the gas door. It's a world of difference! Also have a rear sway bar but the bags/bilsteins really cut down the body roll/sway.
Bobby, What did they run you about, remember? And are your sway bars stock, part of that Sport Suspension package F-41? Think I've got the same. - George

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
2,566 Posts
The rear sway bar is a G body sway bar I bought on ebay. Airlift bags were around $100 and then whatever shocks you choose. Bilstein shocks are a bit stiff, but I like them. I would have all 4 shocks the same brand and type. So depending on what you have up front, go with those for the rear. Unless you want/need to change fronts too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the link, Thx.

Bobby, Got the web site, Thanks. The 78 year same as '87 with these parts ? My front shocks & rear were done same time with Monroe HD w/springs in Feb., so keep those? I just looked, no sway bar. The sway bar attaches to the R&L lower sway bar/shock mount ears, forward the shock mount bolt itself? - George :yell:

The rear sway bar is a G body sway bar I bought on ebay. Airlift bags were around $100 and then whatever shocks you choose. Bilstein shocks are a bit stiff, but I like them. I would have all 4 shocks the same brand and type. So depending on what you have up front, go with those for the rear. Unless you want/need to change fronts too.

·
2,566 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
Great, Thanks Steve, appreciate the pic. They look like the perfect formula for my Camino. Are they also attached to inflatable air lines? Same brand as Bobby78 suggested, Bilstein? - George
I got the g-body wagon springs because I do a lot hauling with it !! Regular springs are fine for some !!
I used 2 air inlets for my bags & put 1 on each side under the fuel door !

·
2,566 Posts
I would think el camino springs would have a higher spring rate than a wagon. 5th gens were rated for 800lb capacity in the bed. I would think that would be more than a wagon?
Maybe the Moog website would have the info. Don't remember what part # the Moog Cargo Coils were for the el camino.

·
2,566 Posts
Now that I think about it, the wagons probably do hold more weight. Figure an elky with a bench seat holds 3 adults. So what's that? about 750lbs up front. Then another 800 in the bed. The wagon could hold 6 adults so say 1500lbs + cargo. Funny we think of these as light duty trucks but maybe they are just 2 seat sports cars in disguise.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
I just hauled full load of wet mulch over a YD & It hardly felt like there was something in the bed !! Don't know if the wagon springs is the same height as stock springs ! I do have a nice stance on mine !!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your Help,...

Ha,. ha, Whatever you want to call them, we love 'em for reason.:::
Hey,... Thanks Much for your help ! - George :beer:

Now that I think about it, the wagons probably do hold more weight. Figure an elky with a bench seat holds 3 adults. So what's that? about 750lbs up front. Then another 800 in the bed. The wagon could hold 6 adults so say 1500lbs + cargo. Funny we think of these as light duty trucks but maybe they are just 2 seat sports cars in disguise.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Attach to this bolt?

Bobby,
See pix, the stabilizer bar bolts here? George

The sway bar mounts to the lower control arms. Two bolts on each. There is also a spacer that fits inside the arm to prevent over tightening of the bolts. The GM is only 7/8" I think. Hotchkiss makes a nicer thicker one that sells for about $169? I have that one on my 87 GP.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
My OEM air shocks actually still work. I don't know if the the previous (also original) owner ever replaced them but I set the pressure at 25 psi the day I bought it home and I was still holding each of the times I checked it.

·
2,566 Posts

there's also a spacer that goes up inside the arm. I'll see if I can get a pic of that too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wish I could say the same,...

Hi Steve,
I wish I could boast the same thing,.. unfortunately my Air Shocks leaked for years, even with changed lines & teflon tape. I gave up & replaced them. Now might have to go back to another pair,... - George :smileyb:

My OEM air shocks actually still work. I don't know if the the previous (also original) owner ever replaced them but I set the pressure at 25 psi the day I bought it home and I was still holding each of the times I checked it.

·
2,566 Posts
No problem,George. Check your pm's. I sent you a pic of the spacers on a sway bar,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts