El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to replace rebuilt Rochester Quadrajet on 305 V8, '87 Elky. Recommendations for Reputable Dealer for purchase is really appreciated....Thank You!
BTW, this directly related to previous post about "LONG SHIFTS!"
I ENDED up rebuilding Transmission with AAMCO and now replacing that/this TOTALLY !*?# carb...I've got a Court date to recoup my loses. But I'm need to move forward and get my baby back on the road again...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
call Ted & tell him your problem
He should be able to fix the rebuilt carb
479 639-2022
My friendly mechanic friend said, "it looked like it had been dropped!" Some kind of sealant had been applied to a "plug" nut and it leaks fuel really bad! I will not drive it! So that's why I'm thinking "better off" at this point to just replace it.....

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,480 Posts
The Rochester Quadrajet, whether it's Rochester, Carter or Edelbrock, is no longer being manufactured by the original manufacturer. Hasn't been, for years.

That leaves you with 2 choices. A 'Made in China' copy, (and I'll not go into exactly how bad those are as there's plenty of proof on YouTube doing teardowns) or a rebuilt/refreshed original.

Forget option #1, that's beyond a complete waste of money, those carbs are only good for one thing, raising your level of frustration well beyond the limits you think you have.

Leaves option #2. Don't go by the expression 'You get what you pay for' as there's far too many 'wannabe' experts that'll charge you through the nose for a half-ashed job.

What you'll need is an expert on the QJ. Mountain Man is just one, there are others like Cliffs High Performance. But don't overlook the old-timer who has owned a little shop since the 70's and doesn't fix the 'newfangled computers on wheels'.

'Dropped' is accurate description of a normal occurance with QJ's. There's 2x 1/2inch bolts on the top of the carb, that hold the carb to the intake. Most common mistake made by Many ppl is overtightening those 2x bolts, in order to make sure there's no vacuum leaks. The carb is made of Zinc. It's pretty soft, malleable, so crushes very easily, and on the drivers side is the accelerator pump, TPS, idle circuit etc and distorting those will guarantee a lousy running carb. It's possible, sometimes, to take that warp out of the airhorn, but very seldom out of the fuel bowl middle section.

So if your carb looks 'dropped' its a toss up if it's still a viable core that can be rebuilt, or if a good core will need to be used as replacement. Mine was so badly warped by the prior owner that Ted basically tossed the whole thing, there were only 2 or 3 parts left that weren't abused or needing replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need to replace rebuilt Rochester Quadrajet on 305 V8, '87 Elky. Recommendations for Reputable Dealer for purchase is really appreciated....Thank You! BTW, this directly related to previous post about "LONG SHIFTS!" I ENDED up rebuilding Transmission with AAMCO and now replacing that/this TOTALLY !*?# carb...I've got a Court date to recoup my loses. But I'm need to move forward and get my baby back on the road again...

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Need to replace rebuilt Rochester Quadrajet on 305 V8, '87 Elky. Recommendations for Reputable Dealer for purchase is really appreciated....Thank You!
BTW, this directly related to previous post about "LONG SHIFTS!"
I ENDED up rebuilding Transmission with AAMCO and now replacing that/this TOTALLY !*?# carb...I've got a Court date to recoup my loses. But I'm need to move forward and get my baby back on the road again...
That is exactly why I decided to do my swap. A whole lot more work but in the end.......worth it!

Best of luck!

Joe

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,815 Posts
Marc , Glad you got good advise and will agree with those that said Mountain Man is the guy to contact . I have been reading of the good results that members have received from him for a number of years . As Karadjgne also said , don`t discount the old timer with a shop that works on them . There are many good ones . The hard thing is finding them . I was lucky years ago that 464elky rebuilt the carb on my 87 with a 350 engine . At an away get together my carb had picked up some trash and would not idle below 1800 rpm . Neil had an extra carb for Skinyfisher and we put it on my 87 to get me home ( 623 miles ) Neil rebuilt the carb , removed the small filter in the carb entry , installed a small filter in the fuel line and 10 years later , now that I sold it , it is still running perfectly . So after your rebuilt carb goes on , I highly recommend a cheap and easy to install replaceable filter . Depending how long you have owned your Camino , you never know what previous owners have put in the tank . I see people putting in gas that has been sitting in an extra gas can they did not want to waste and it went into their car . If you decide to ensure what you have , it is not difficult to drop the tank , clean and paint it and check/renew any fuel lines . Enjoy your ride ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts