El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dumb question but I'm filling out my registration forms for the Elky. With Covid, you have to fill everything out and mail it. Is an Elky a truck or passenger car?

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Some states will register an EL Camino as a truck with Commercial Vehicle plates. These plates are usually higher cost and carry annual weight fees.

·
Registered
12,435 Posts
technically its a 2 Door Sedan Pick Up according to GM..
there Trucks in Texas according to the state.....

it does depend on the state tho,
what does your title say ??
is the title from the same state ??

Vin decoder says
3rd digit - This is the Make
C = Chevrolet Truck
T = GMC Truck

could be or a Cruck or a Elky too..
but not a passenger car, that would be for normal people..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@JJLT1 the title is from out of state and says passenger. I'm gonna go with truck. Everything is pointing me towards that haha

·
Registered
242 Posts
technically its a 2 Door Sedan Pick Up according to GM..
there Trucks in Texas according to the state.....

it does depend on the state tho,
what does your title say ??
is the title from the same state ??

Vin decoder says
3rd digit - This is the Make
C = Chevrolet Truck
T = GMC Truck

could be or a Cruck or a Elky too..
but not a passenger car, that would be for normal people..
My 3rd digit is a 8
What is it??

·
Registered
12,435 Posts
@JJLT1 the title is from out of state and says passenger. I'm gonna go with truck. Everything is pointing me towards that haha
I think some states consider the Elky a station wagon without a top
which makes it a pass car to them..
maybe ask other members what there title says,, IIRC your in NY, maybe ??
maybe they have different rules for pass and truck too like CA, don't know ??
could be weight or emissions or both..
My 3rd digit is a 8
What is it??
its a different VIN code, longer Vin on later model cars..
on a 1980
3rd and 4th and digits - This is the Body Style
80 = 2dr Sedan Pick-up

1st digit – This is the manufacturers identity number
1 = Chevrolet
5 = GMC
link> VIN Decoder

·
Registered
205 Posts
My registration here in AZ has it as 12pu. No weight fees charged . In CA it was registered as a commercial vehicle with weight fees required.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is probably a dumb question but I'm filling out my registration forms for the Elky. With Covid, you have to fill everything out and mail it. Is an Elky a truck or passenger car?
Decode your VIN for the year vehicle you are dealing with. Mine is a 1983 and the 3rd digit in the VIN is a "C," denoting "Chevrolet Truck." Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s considered a truck because it has a bed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Always a conundrum! I'm in Arizona. But have lived and worked all over the West. Right now I have a 2006 Nissan 4x4 PU that has a passenger plate that seems to work just fine even though I haul things like trash, plywood, Moptorcycles, etc. I also have a 3/4T 1971 Chevy K20 4x4 with a flat bed on it. AZ called it commercial so I have to buy a comercial plate even though I don't haul anything more then I do in the Nissan - I think it is the Flat bed that confused them because all the other 71 K20's I se around have passenger plates. I have lived places that will let you put a passenger plate on PU's but heaven help you if you haul a Trash can!!!!! El Camino's and Ford Ranchero's are essentially Station Wagons with a station wagon passenger car frame and running gear that have the back half of them cut off and replaced with a light duty bed. I'd suggest calling your local Police Department or Sheriff's department and talk to them about if they ticket El Caminos with passenger plates and a trash can in the back - could save a few bucks! LBM

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get charged in California as a commercial vehicle because it doesn't have a camper shell. so to me its a truck. but its the best truck ever built.
to me actually its a truck that rides like a car. and looks like both. so whatever you want to call it its ok. We have a unique truck car my friends

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your best bet is to look at the title. I've had three, all three titles said something different (although I don't remember what the one that wasn't a "truck" or a "car" was listed as.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts