El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
years ago when I had a '79 they told me " if it has a bed it's a truck" that was in missouri , these days I have a '78 SS living in kansas registered with antique plates (no mileage restrictions)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good one, Suzy!(y) Or you could tell them it's a truck but it "identifies" as a car. That's actually more physically accurate than some of the LBQGT* people's claims, and they take them at their word! Every stock mechanical Elky part is shared with a car and NOT another truck (except, perhaps, the stock air shocks?). It's only the back half of the body (strictly appearance) that is different, and even some of that is shared with a station wagon (a car). And if people are allowed to claim to "be" something other than what they "came from the factory" as because of their appearance, then an El Camino can claim to be whatever it wants to be, too, right? 😜

Seriously, though, as has been stated already, Chevrolet and GMC classifies them (by their VIN) as "trucks", and here in MS they classify them as trucks, but I guess other states are confused by the concept and don't know what the beasts are. But I am outraged, if I understand what I'm reading here, that some states automatically classify it as a "commercial vehicle" just to get more money from you! Does that mean if you buy an older Crown Vic that used to be a taxi, it's automatically a commercial vehicle forever? Heck, that's like they changed the law here so that you can't buy an "antique" tag (one-time purchase, good forever) for a truck larger than a half-ton! I was P.O.'d when I couldn't get an antique tag for my 1950 F-3 pickup. (Yes, 1 ton with single rear wheels and a pickup bed--no dual wheels or flatbed.) They said too many people were using antique-tagged trucks for business purposes, and I admit I have seen some nice vintage big trucks used for commercial logging. But they could have made a law fining the person for using an antique-tagged truck for business purposes and revoked their tag instead of penalizing all larger trucks across the board. Good grief, it's a 70 yr-old pickup with a flathead V8--why would you put a lot of miles on it and use it as anything but a basic pickup now and then??? Anything to squeeze more taxes from folks!:mad:

Sorry for the rant. 😟

LKMeano

* "LBQGT" always sounds to me like it should be a car:

"What kinda car did ya get, Billy?"
"Well, I was gonna buy a regular Elbycue, but I decided to go ahead and fork over the extra money for the Elbycue GT, 'cause it's a whole lot sportier! And it's "convertible", too! 😜

·
Registered
19 Posts
You have one beautiful 87 Mark, that camper fits like a perfect glove.

So now we have a car, truck and station wagon. Ones again Unique

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is probably a dumb question but I'm filling out my registration forms for the Elky. With Covid, you have to fill everything out and mail it. Is an Elky a truck or passenger car?
I have antique plates here in Texas so they do not distinguish between car or truck. Back in Ohio, it was a truck and most states call it a truck. Even more modern trucks are registered as trucks so I don't think you are going to get into a more expensive commercial plate situation.
Keep safe and have a great day.
Bill Elkie

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is probably a dumb question but I'm filling out my registration forms for the Elky. With Covid, you have to fill everything out and mail it. Is an Elky a truck or passenger car?
I was told years ago from Idaho DMV that it was a 'Utility Vehicle'. As a joke I wrote 'Hybrid' and they actually registered it as that description, took 2 years for them to catch on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My FL title states Chevrolet, Body Style: PK. My Haggerty insurance card states: 1982 Chevrolet 1/2 ton.

In any case, FL is cool. I even have the “Antique” plate and pay $20/year!
8E91C04F-96C9-40A1-8BDD-5FDC935E2669.jpeg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So in NY, it's registered as a pickup but as long as you don't put any advertising on it, it gets the passenger vehicle fees.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
keeping in mind what everyone has stated above, title it to your advantage in your state. see what Chicamino said below; no camper, it's a commercial truck, with a camper, it's a personal truck. this is just the government playing silly games with taxes.

I get charged in California as a commercial vehicle because it doesn't have a camper shell. so to me its a truck. but its the best truck ever built.
to me actually its a truck that rides like a car. and looks like both. so whatever you want to call it its ok. We have a unique truck car my friends

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Mine in Georgia is a truck but there’s no extra cost. Georgia used to (‘80s-‘90s) assign a different plate to trucks. Cars were three letters/three numbers; trucks were two letters/four numbers. When Dad first bought his we were given truck plates but it would vary from county to county-we’d see them tagged either way.
Patrick

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Mine in Georgia is a truck but there’s no extra cost. Georgia used to (‘80s-‘90s) assign a different plate to trucks. Cars were three letters/three numbers; trucks were two letters/four numbers. When Dad first bought his we were given truck plates but it would vary from county to county-we’d see them tagged either way.
Patrick
they started doing that in Texas about 10 yrs ago with the new 3letter-4number template except that they seem to be issuing all plates starting with consonants to cars (B, C, D, F, G, H, etc) whereas trucks were getting all plates starting with vowels (A, E, I, they haven't gotten to O or U yet)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My Kansas title shows the vehicle type as PU. I hope that means pickup. ;-)
Got it a personalized plate that says PICOUPE

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Joe, Georgia doesn’t require titles on cars once they’re a certain age. (I can’t remember the number and they may have set a year by now; 1985 or so?). If the vehicle is old enough to be exempt, you can buy it and register it without a title, just the bill of sale, (which a lot of people do to save the title transfer fee), and once that’s done the title essentially dies unless you find or possess the actual paper copy and want to transfer it. (I know people who aren’t original owners but have original titles to cars they’ve bought.) If it’s lost Georgia won’t reissue one. If you move to another state and that state requires a title, then that state has to recognize Georgia’s law and issue a new one. (Been there, done that. Scares people from out of state but works for us). Our bills of sale don’t even need notarization, just a handwritten note will do. Possession is really 9/10 of the law here.
Patrick

·
Registered
333 Posts
My registration here in AZ has it as 12pu. No weight fees charged . In CA it was registered as a commercial vehicle with weight fees required.
this... my last 2 elcos in SOCAL were commercial vehicle marked with weight - guess they are smart to know people see a truck bed and ask you to haul for them

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wa. state says truck, unless you have a camper shell, canope, or whatever it gets called in your neck of the woods.
My '78 is registered as a commercial vehicle, my '79 has collector plates.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Having a camper shell in California does not automatically qualify for passenger registration. Must be able to support habitation such as a truck camper.
From the DMV website:

• Pickup trucks with a permanently attached camper or camper shell. Adding a camper shell to a pickup truck does not necessarily constitute a change from commercial to auto registration. The addition must meet the definitions for human habitation or camping purposes. Otherwise the vehicle owner may be subject to citation from law enforcement for not meeting the definition of an auto.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
People’s Republic of Kalifornistan fails to recognize that someone would own a truck for personal reasons.
Patrick
yeah, that does sound a bit fascist to me. try owning a vehicle in Bermuda:
-no motorcycles over 250cc
-no trucks (have to show cause for need, such as a business)
-vehicle registrations are taxed based on their LENGTH

21 - 40 of 41 Posts