El Camino Central Forum banner

Registration question

6K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  Old Bear 
#1 ·
This is probably a dumb question but I'm filling out my registration forms for the Elky. With Covid, you have to fill everything out and mail it. Is an Elky a truck or passenger car?

#30 ·
Mine in Georgia is a truck but there’s no extra cost. Georgia used to (‘80s-‘90s) assign a different plate to trucks. Cars were three letters/three numbers; trucks were two letters/four numbers. When Dad first bought his we were given truck plates but it would vary from county to county-we’d see them tagged either way.
Patrick

#32 ·
they started doing that in Texas about 10 yrs ago with the new 3letter-4number template except that they seem to be issuing all plates starting with consonants to cars (B, C, D, F, G, H, etc) whereas trucks were getting all plates starting with vowels (A, E, I, they haven't gotten to O or U yet)

#34 ·
Joe, Georgia doesn’t require titles on cars once they’re a certain age. (I can’t remember the number and they may have set a year by now; 1985 or so?). If the vehicle is old enough to be exempt, you can buy it and register it without a title, just the bill of sale, (which a lot of people do to save the title transfer fee), and once that’s done the title essentially dies unless you find or possess the actual paper copy and want to transfer it. (I know people who aren’t original owners but have original titles to cars they’ve bought.) If it’s lost Georgia won’t reissue one. If you move to another state and that state requires a title, then that state has to recognize Georgia’s law and issue a new one. (Been there, done that. Scares people from out of state but works for us). Our bills of sale don’t even need notarization, just a handwritten note will do. Possession is really 9/10 of the law here.
Patrick

#38 ·
Having a camper shell in California does not automatically qualify for passenger registration. Must be able to support habitation such as a truck camper.
From the DMV website:

• Pickup trucks with a permanently attached camper or camper shell. Adding a camper shell to a pickup truck does not necessarily constitute a change from commercial to auto registration. The addition must meet the definitions for human habitation or camping purposes. Otherwise the vehicle owner may be subject to citation from law enforcement for not meeting the definition of an auto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.