El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Elky- going into 2nd reincarnation
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time really does fly 😮‍💨 hard to believe that it’s been nearly 20 years since I bought my Elky from the 1st owner in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Since then, it’s moved with me to North Florida, Michigan, & now Arizona. Many thanks to Neil aka 464Elky who helped me out on my first build (and some others) and still to this day puts up with my questions and asking for advice! So 16 years ago, I took a junkyard 350 TBI from a Caprice and had it bored out and built to a 383 stroker. Having the luxury of working in a junkyard I had access to lots of great parts and customized my Elky to my liking. Fast forward to today and motivation from my dad, I’ve begun my 2nd rebuild. Since their popularity has picked up, I’ve always wanted to do an LS swap and almost pulled the trigger on a 5.3 single turbo but am going to go with a 6.0 NA. In some aspects it’s probably a good thing I’ve waited because technology has really advanced and there’s a lot more readily available bolt in stuff for LS swaps.
So I’m still sort of in the beginning, and I’m starting off with a 25k mile 383 stroker with a 200r4 and the garbage 7.5 bolt rear end. I just recently completely redid the interior and I have a custom LQ9 on the way. Will be mating that to a 4L70/75 trans and a Quick Performance rear end.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One of the first things I decided to do is upgrade my lighting. I updated the sealed beam headlights to H4 lights with LED halos. I added the LED Digitails to the rear, replaced the front turn/park lamps and side marker lights and the chrome trim bezels. I was disappointed in the turn/park lamps because OPGI sells them without the plastic pop in nuts, so I had to use speed clips since my plastic nuts were all cracked. I also replaced all the incandescent lights with LEDs.
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tire Grille Car

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next came the interior. I gutted everything because I needed to trace down the dreaded vacuum heat/air system, water leak on passenger side, replace the torn and stained carpet, replace the quarter glass seals, re-dye the trim pieces, recover the seats and headliner, replace the column shifter with a tilt floor shift column, rewire and upgrade the stereo system, and a few other things.
Motor vehicle Office equipment Automotive design Engineering Computer hardware

Wood Composite material Gas Rectangle Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Barware Art

Motor vehicle Window Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention on the last post, I swapped an 84 Grand Prix dash and door panels in my Elky when I did the 383. I’m using the Autometer Phantom series gauges with red LED back lights. The center console is from a 2003 Monte Carlo and the bucket seats are from a 93 Mazda MX-3 on the OEM seat tracks and pads. I ended up replacing the 9 port vacuum switch, fan motor, relay, resistor, heater core, and evaporator. Since the dash was out and I had the heater box apart, I had Safelite come out and put a new windshield in. In spite of replacing everything still have a water leak into passenger floorboard and the blower wouldn’t come on at any speed. Murphy’s law kicked in and I saw an article from SEMA about their new G body A/C kit. The box in the engine compartment is practically flat which will be a big plus for the LS swap. The other thing is electronic controls which eliminates the vacuum system. So I’ll be pulling the dash again for my LS swap to put in the Vintage Air system. My guess is the seal on the firewall is probably deteriorated somewhere because none of the drains inside the box were clogged. The a/c fuse was good in the fuse box so I temporarily ran a switched wire from the fuse box to the brown fan wire on the switch so at least I have functional climate controls in the meantime.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Hood Electronic instrument Audio equipment Musical instrument

Hood Automotive tire Textile Grey Wood

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got the interior back in. I used an ABS headliner board, I had to weight it down in the sun because they box folded in half 🙄 and I also had to trim U shaped notches in the front so the clips would snap in place. I decided to give the interior a slight touch of modern, using diamond stitching and replacing the fabric headliner and upper door panels with vinyl. I also replaced the cable driven speedometer with a GPS speedometer to have 1 less connection or interface with the LS swap. I polished out the door sill plates and with the Grand Prix dash having a center speaker, was able to have (2) 4” center speakers and the (2) 3 1/2 ones in the corners. I also have 5 1/4 components in the kick panels and an 8” Bazooka tube in the smugglers cabin. My quarter glass weather stripping was dry rotted so I’m glad I took the opportunity to replace it.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lookin good! Keep up the good work.I'll be following. 👍 👀👍!
Thanks! I just started this about 2 months ago, so I’m trying to get caught up to my current state. Things are probably going to slow down since there’s a lot of LS stuff on back order

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brown truck delivered parts! Hopefully this weekend will be starting the front end! New F41 steering box, all new steering components, BMR tubular control arms, new springs, Bilstein shocks, Baer brake 11” brake upgrade with new spindles

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New engine ordered today! Custom LQ9, LS3 heads, LS6 cam, 10.3 compression

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 Choo Choo
8 Posts
Time really does fly 😮‍💨 hard to believe that it’s been nearly 20 years since I bought my Elky from the 1st owner in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Since then, it’s moved with me to North Florida, Michigan, & now Arizona. Many thanks to Neil aka 464Elky who helped me out on my first build (and some others) and still to this day puts up with my questions and asking for advice! So 16 years ago, I took a junkyard 350 TBI from a Caprice and had it bored out and built to a 383 stroker. Having the luxury of working in a junkyard I had access to lots of great parts and customized my Elky to my liking. Fast forward to today and motivation from my dad, I’ve begun my 2nd rebuild. Since their popularity has picked up, I’ve always wanted to do an LS swap and almost pulled the trigger on a 5.3 single turbo but am going to go with a 6.0 NA. In some aspects it’s probably a good thing I’ve waited because technology has really advanced and there’s a lot more readily available bolt in stuff for LS swaps.
So I’m still sort of in the beginning, and I’m starting off with a 25k mile 383 stroker with a 200r4 and the garbage 7.5 bolt rear end. I just recently completely redid the interior and I have a custom LQ9 on the way. Will be mating that to a 4L70/75 trans and a Quick Performance rear end.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going back some useful tips if you’re working on the hvac system. The OEM evaporator uses a plastic mesh, like a Brillo pad. It’s very likely that yours will be very deteriorated or non existent. The purpose of this is to help wick moisture from the evaporator down to the drain hole so you don’t end up with extra water and a moldy smell in your floorboard. I went to PetCo and found this charcoal infused mesh similar type material in the fish department and cut it to fit.
Harbor Freight sells the Mighty Vac, which is extremely helpful tracking down vacuum leaks, testing actuators, and it also helps bleeding brakes as a 1 man operation.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Speedometer Automotive tire

Fluid Bumper Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Cable

Hood Automotive tire Textile Grey Wood

Bicycle part Automotive tire Font Tool Auto part

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you want to restore your bright work, a little bit of elbow grease, a bottle of regular Coke, 00 steel wool, Tripoli compound and a buffer are all you need. Use the Coke and steel wool to clean the surface contaminants off. Wash with water and dry off. Buff with the Tripoli compound and polish out with a microfiber cloth. Just like new!
Wood Composite material Gas Rectangle Bumper

Vehicle Window Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car

Bottle Bicycle handlebar Aluminum can Material property Tin

·
Registered
1987 El Camino
4 Posts
This looks great. I'm about to embark on my first Elky project. Thanks for the inspiration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts