El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished reading the stickie on relays. One thing I would like to note is that when replacing relays, not all relays are set up the same way. You can't just buy another relay and plug it in, you have to make sure that the pins/spades are in the same location as the one you are replacing. I have two types of relays (both 4-spade), and the spade for "30" is located in a different place. I wasn't aware of this, and replaced a relay only to start replacing fuses (in my headlight circuits). I have two relays for the 4-headlights. The driver's side works fine, but the passenger's side where I put in the new relay, the low beam doesn't work, the only hi beam doesn't work, but the dual light has the hi beam work. I did what I shouldn't have done, shifted the wiring around, and this the the bag of worms I wound up with. Not all of the relays (have two more for two full fans, Push and pull) have the relay holders, but rely on spade connectors. I have the holders, and have enclosed them in a plastic box (with lid off) to get rid of the rat's nest I have.

Anyone have a good schematic for dual headlights using two relays?? I would greatly appreciate being able to copy it so I can get all this put to the side. I believe this was also why I had a warm relay, and the battery kept discharging overnight.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..this might help ya out....

:beer:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gilbert, ya know whut??? That was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I did get the lights working after buying out a fuse company to replace the fuses I blew, and it was a skrued up situation. You ever use a blue wire to run to ground? Well, the idiot PO uses just that. When I FINALLY got around to checking for a ground for the relays, that's what I discovered. All that rat's next will be replaced very shortly. I've got a few other problems to resolve first.

I really want to thank you, and the others who replied, for the help. Now ya knows why I comes hear!!!!:poke::beer:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts