El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am putting my 1978 El Camino through it's 2nd Customizing Project. I am taking all the hard lines off of the car like the rain gutters, mouldings, etc. I am going to get rid of the fuel door and want to relocate the filler neck into the bed. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I've got a 1978 in Los Angeles which has the filler moved to the bed. You need to come see it. It was not an easy job and it is not without its problems!
PM me with your e-mail address.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Here's the big problem. When you cut the filler neck, you also cut the vent tube that runs from the top of the tank and along the filler neck and ends above the point where the gas exits the nozzle when you stick it into the filler neck. Since the air cannot vent properly, putting fuel in the truck is a slow process. If you put it in at any normal speed, pressure builds up in the tank and it pukes fuel back up the filler neck and into the bed. I've tried putting various size tubes down the filler pipe and even have gone so far as to putting a 2 foot length of hose on the gas pump nozzle in hopes of getting the fuel to go in below where the air wants to come out.
If you can fix the problem, let me know how. For now, I have a system that looks great, but is a real pain in the tail.......

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
BIG NICK G said:
hemi57 said:
BIG NICK G said:

BIG NICK G, is this a valid post?

what? To The Top, so others can see this topic and maybe add further info, whats the problem?

Apologies NICK, I have not come across that acronym before :oops:

I was looking at a couple of your posts and thinking I should thank you for bringing older threads back to life.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hemi57 said:
BIG NICK G said:
hemi57 said:
BIG NICK G said:

BIG NICK G, is this a valid post?

what? To The Top, so others can see this topic and maybe add further info, whats the problem?

Apologies NICK, I have not come across that acronym before :oops:

I was looking at a couple of your posts and thinking I should thank you for bringing older threads back to life.

No Problem, I'm glad I found this site I just spent my whole work day on here lol (laugh out loud). There is so much helpful El Camino information I know Ill be spending more days reading through it all. :-D

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
BIG NICK G said:
No Problem, I'm glad I found this site I just spent my whole work day on here lol (laugh out loud). There is so much helpful El Camino information I know Ill be spending more days reading through it all. :-D
That's good NICK, I have an acronym buster but To The Top was number 10 on the list of TTT. I am up with a lot of them LMAO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts