El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a 70’s Truck that has a remanufactured engine that says “remanufactured 3800” on the valve cover. It is a V8, not sure if it’s a 350 or 305 ect, but didn’t know if any of you knew what this was? It is a pre 1985 small block.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly my thinking. No I went to look at it and passed at the moment. Considering looking at it again. It was a small block V8. Had the typical 350 ram horn looking exhaust manifolds, 8 plug wires, and was not a short (3 cylinders long). It was definitely a V8, but I was greatly confused by the valve cover because the 3800. It looks familiar, I think I’ve seen the 3800 before in a Craigslist ad or something on another car or truck. It seems to me that I have seen it before in a V8. I just don’t know what it means. Thank you for the help, I immediately thought 3.8 too, but it’s a full V8.

·
Supporting Member
4,373 Posts
Jeep had a J-3800 series that had a V8. It could be one of those, or even just the valve covers from one of those.

From another site:
Several engine options have been used in the J-Series pickups over the years including:

Kaiser 230 OHC I6 "Tornado"(63-66)
AMC 327 V8 "Vigilante" (65-66)
AMC 232 I6 (67-70)
Buick 350 V8 "Dauntless" (67-70)
AMC 258 I6 (71-end of J truck production)
AMC 304 V8 (71-73)
AMC 360 V8 2 bbl. (71-end)
AMC 360 V8 4 bbl. (74-end J-xx models)
AMC 401 V8 4 bbl. (74-end J-xx models)

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. Might go take another look at it. I initially passed because I heard a clatter underneath. I am thinking it was flexplate noise, but I wanted to get in with a stethoscope to make sure (Yes that is a big job to pull the tranny and fix). No it wasn’t painted up or nothing, looks like a stock Sbc with a valve cover that said remanufactured 3800. I looked in the oil cap, a little bit of sludge build up in the head but nothing crazy by any means. engine seems to be pretty solid. Oil pressure on cold start pegged the gauge out over 60 psi. When the choke kicked off it idled somewhere around 55psi if I remember right at 600 rpm. Driving down the road it pegs out 60 + psi, HOT idle it is down around 20 or 25psi at 600 rpm. Runs great, are those hot idle numbers where they should be?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I picked up the ol girl. Here are pics of the engine. Looks to be a 350? Was just used as a farm truck. Runs good. After driving it at 3,500 rpm @ 70 mph for an hour and a half (someone put 3.73 or 4.11’s in, not sure the ratio, BUT I can see the rear end was gone through with new seals), oil pressure was at about 25 psi IN gear at about 550rpm. In park after running 3,500 rpm for an hour and a half, it hot idled in PARK at about 32 oil PSI.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Does the seller have an invoice for the Goodwrench reman engine? I'd be suspicious that it's really a GM reman. Wouldn't a GM engine have better paint on the valve cover?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting. It was a gentleman that used it for a farm truck. He did not do the engine. My understanding is that the previous owner to the guy I bought it from, wanted to make it a sleeper so they did the engine and the rear gearing years and years ago. It sat and they didn’t pursue it anymore and decided to sell it to the guy who I bought it from.

I agree, paint is flaky.. no leaks though. No drips, inside the valve cover looks to have a minimal amount of oil deposits, but there is some. Intake is new... runs real good. It is definitely an older engine swap. Who knows... could be 10... 15 years ago. It was 2 owners ago, hard saying.

I agree on the ground to the guage... The speedo is all messed up as well...

Thanks guys. Maybe it is just a sticker? Who really knows... from what I see, I wouldn’t doubt it being replaced. There was a note in the truck from 2 owners ago saying the the replacement engine was put in at either 79,000 or 89,000 mi.... I can’t remember what it said for sure. Definitely traces that it was replaced, but again.... who really knows.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A little clip of her idling. Doesn’t have too bad of a sound for an old farm truck. Might play with her timing a little if need be. I haven’t hooked my vacuum gauge up to it yet, may be fine? Healthy little small block.

https://youtu.be/RIwFogTUX04

Thanks for all the help trying to debunk whatever mystery engine we got here.

I need to run the block numbers. I assume a 350, but I have no idea.

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
wtg B
block casting number will tell you 305 or 350.. rear top, driver side, behind the head..
sometimes the other numbers on the GM crates are hard to find depending on the year,,
some are just part number/date.. front pad, pass side, in front of the head..
get them and call a Chevy dealer, that will get you some info, don't know how much??
pull a valve cover and get the head casting #too..
block #s
http://nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php
:texas:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wtg B
block casting number will tell you 305 or 350.. rear top, driver side, behind the head..
sometimes the other numbers on the GM crates are hard to find depending on the year,,
some are just part number/date.. front pad, pass side, in front of the head..
get them and call a Chevy dealer, that will get you some info, don't know how much??
pull a valve cover and get the head casting #too..
block #s
http://nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php
:texas:
You are awesome! Good info! Thank you

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

Thought I would update you all. The previous owner got back with me and said that he was told from the person he bought it from, that it was indeed a 350. I was doing some hunting and found a date on the engine. Not sure if it was a quality control thing, but the engine has a date marking of January 2007.

I did some vacuum fixes and timed it a little better with my vacuum gauge.

Cold idle:

https://youtu.be/z_AvaHkCH4w

Warm idle:

https://youtu.be/kmLDV5r9sgw

Also got rid of the frying pan air cleaner. Got tired of messing with that.

The engine still has pretty good black paint/powder coating/whatever it is... for being 12 years old. Truck sat for years is the story after they lost interest in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts