El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

Registered
It's here in Tenn. The good thing about it is you can see the tops of trees at night 馃槀

Registered
1981 El Camino, 4-Speed w/ factory Hurst Shifter, 400ci small block
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Hello,

And now, its exactly the opposite with the recent "California Squat" look. High and lifted in the front, dragging almost, in the back. Not for me but here it is . . . .

Rick
Well, being from Richmond Virginia, I was subjected to these strange looking things on a regular basis.
I will almost NEVER support the implementation of ANY new laws concerning restrictions on motor vehicles, but this time....not so much.
North Carolina's legislature took a stand and outright BANNED those trucks.

'Carolina Squat' truck ban now in effect (wtvr.com)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, there is ONE time the squat works for me.
Gassers!!! ;)
How cool can racing get, when some of the cars in question are a 1957 Shoebox Chevy and Harry Luzader's 5 window 32!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Premium Member
Anybody remember straight pipes? That was where the exhaust came more or less straight down from the manifolds, then ran straight back under, yes under, the car, including the rear suspension. The nose of the car was often dropped and the rear jacked up with shackles or spacers in the springs. The idea was to not disrupt the flow of the exhaust gasses with bends and to "improve" weight distribution at launch. This was on street cars, not drag cars.

Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
Bikerlaw , your post brought a smile to my face , remembering the fad of a jacked up rear end ( using screw metal spacers ) , to lift up the rear end and install big , oversized rear tires . On my 59 Chevy , I installed large " cheater slicks " . Driving around the 2 by 4 mile island of Key West was fun but as a young driver now getting out on the highway , not such a good idea . It was cool for a while but soo uncomfortable , noisy and totally insafe ; especially , with the amount of rain we got . Drmdlucas`s mention of straight pipes was nostalgic . On the 59 , I had Hooker headers going into a straight pipes ( with a very small muffler ) , then just past the rear end going into 4 in. dual exhaust pipes that were shortened driveshafts that I cut down . As dumb as it all may have been , you couldn`t beat the fun factor .

Reactions: bikerlaw

Registered
One must be smarter than spell check. Red neck. 馃槣 I'll use it in a true story sentence.
Riding down the road the other day in the camino, someone does the usual cut me off & shortly after slam on the brakes. The cd cover to my Lynyrd Skynyrd flies out from under the pass seat. Does that mean I'm a red neck???? Living in Jax, fl, where Skynyrd is from. I think I've been mistaken for one of them several times wearing my eating out clothes & austrailian hat. Does that make me a *******??? who cares.

Hey, learned something here, the term carolina squat. I don't get it either. Born in 69' I've had homemade spring spacers because I couldn't afford air shocks. I only have a hint of forward rake at the moment on the camaro nose el camino, but when I finally install air ride I plan on doing some slow speed car show cruise in driving on a funny car rake. Should go along good with all the body mods.

Long live those of us who know what a real hot rod is.

Registered
I love this post! I remember it well. Gabriel Highjackers or aluminum knuckles between the coils and fat white letter tires. And not just cars. Vans were also subject to the same treatment. I live in South Carolina, home of the Squatters. I don't get it but neither did our parents. Oh I almost forgot. Wasn't it fun to blow your Jensen 6脳9's on Robin Trower or Edgar Winter?

Registered
It was just the other day all four wheel drives was jacked up all the way around then some one blow a spring in the rear which dropped it so now everyone runs them that way thinking it was on propose

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It was just the other day all four wheel drives was jacked up all the way around then some one blow a spring in the rear which dropped it so now everyone runs them that way thinking it was on propose
I am absolutely convinced that this trend started around some kind of story such as that.
Maybe some N.C. hillbilly started on a lift kit, a couple parts were missing from the kit, and he didn't realize till he finished the front, and started on the back. By the time the company sent him the parts, he was like naw..... I'm diggin' this. Or maybe he got half way through the project, ran out of daylight and by the time he had time to finish up the rear, he was like, F-it, people been telling me how cool I am all week, I'm keeping it! Or some crazy variation of the same story....
At this point, I guess we'll never know, since now they are BANNED!

Premium Member
You mean you do not think that first butt draggin' dawg with the bad anal glands is looking for a museum?
I think the owner is known as "Scoots" around the Carolinas.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You mean you do not think that first butt draggin' dawg with the bad anal glands is looking for a museum?
I think the owner is known as "Scoots" around the Carolinas.
Anything is possible.....I don't judge, lol. :p

Registered
MONTROSE!!!!!

Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
One must be smarter than spell check. Red neck. 馃槣 I'll use it in a true story sentence.
Riding down the road the other day in the camino, someone does the usual cut me off & shortly after slam on the brakes. The cd cover to my Lynyrd Skynyrd flies out from under the pass seat. Does that mean I'm a red neck???? Living in Jax, fl, where Skynyrd is from. I think I've been mistaken for one of them several times wearing my eating out clothes & austrailian hat. Does that make me a ***??? who cares.

Hey, learned something here, the term carolina squat. I don't get it either. Born in 69' I've had homemade spring spacers because I couldn't afford air shocks. I only have a hint of forward rake at the moment on the camaro nose el camino, but when I finally install air ride I plan on doing some slow speed car show cruise in driving on a funny car rake. Should go along good with all the body mods.

Long live those of us who know what a real hot rod is.
I remember that I was attending Jacksonville University ( Florida ) , when the Leonard Skynyrd Band was starting and reading about the controversary with their teacher over not allowing them in class with long hair . Can`t say I was a big fan but did like some of their music ; especially , their stance against the archaic rules of no long hair allowed . I watched a T.V. show a while back about them , their later friendship with the teacher and their tragic plane crash . Did have to laugh recently when I saw a few very young import drivers riding down US 1 . Apparently they had totally lowered their ride but could not afford any air bags or shocks . Riding behind them , I could see every bump in the road as their heads were wildly swinging back and forth like a cartoon of bobbleheads .

Registered
We called it the "stink bug look", the air shocks would leak down during the day so I had to idle to the auto shop at my high school to air them up just to drive home.

Which led to me dropping all of the gimmick ways to lift the rear in favor of cannibalizing rear springs from old Cadillacs or full size Buicks and putting them in my Elky; permanent lift baby!

Lousy drive shaft geometry and no shock travel but I didn't care (or know) about that stuff in high school, I just wanted those dish mags to hang out the side 馃ぃ

Registered
The first time I saw Robin Trower I had a visual of what I was expecting but because the band had nothing but graphics on their albums I was shocked to see that Robin Trower was not the vocalist. Duh!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts