El Camino Central Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Chevy El Camino Custom
6 Posts
Yes, it's me again. When I get bored, I like to chat up El Caminos. Heck, sometimes I'll ramble on about any old car or truck. But I just got to thinking. Us older guys probably can remember the days when cars were roaming the streets with K-Mart rear air shocks, pumped all the way up, to make clearance for a set of 14 or 15 inch Cragar rims and gigantic tires, that stood absolutely NO CHANCE of fitting in the wheel wells. In days of past, every self proclaimed "street racer" was quick to insist....... his car just won't hook up, and the only solution was air shocks with huge meatballs, LOL. The result was the inevitable heavily raked, nose down (A$$ end up) muscle car stance, that was all fashion 40 years ago. And our El Caminos were by NO MEANS exempt from this trend. I myself was guilty, but I just wanted to ask some of my fellow Old Farts.....Remember seeing cars like this at intersections?

Speaking only for myself, I loved them, and looking back, I kinda' miss the old hot rods. Once we as a Car Culture figured out what back spacing and tire sizing actually meant, they started to disappear. Today, narrowed axles and wheels tubs have pretty much killed the whole deal, once and for all. But hey, for the younger guys who can't picture what I am talking about, I posted a few pics.

Maybe you guys were/are glad to see these cars fade away, but I remember these slanted cars with protruding tires, very fondly. But that probably comes from my inherit love of the long dead "Gassers" of the 60's. My all time favorite cars!!!

View attachment 143602 View attachment 143608
Yep. Been there done that! Was in high school in the mid 70's, the heyday of jacked up cars. I still like rake on a car/truck. Just a little less now than my HS days! Remember taking a hammer to the fender well lips?! The stuff we used to do! LOL!

·
Registered
1967 Chevy El Camino Custom
6 Posts
Hello,

And now, its exactly the opposite with the recent "California Squat" look. High and lifted in the front, dragging almost, in the back. Not for me but here it is . . . .

Rick
What's old is new again! The leadsleds of the 50's were the tail dragging trendsetters.

·
Registered
1981 El Camino, 4-Speed w/ factory Hurst Shifter, 400ci small block
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
What's old is new again! The leadsleds of the 50's were the tail dragging trendsetters.
Heck yeah.....
Those turd truck, tail draggin' sorry excuse for a......something, are just a bunch of Johnny Come Lately's.
Hot Rodder's were doing that trick 70 years ago, LOL.

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Automotive parking light

·
Registered
92 Posts
We have a lot of Bro Trucks. I haven't seen this squatting stuff yet.
Nothing works better at night than headlights pointing at the moon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Laughing at that. I had a big ol' owl in my tree for a while. Pretty sure she would not have been impressed with getting lit up every night.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts