El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have power doors on 79 el camino..due to door cylinders being hard to open, i decided to go with remote locks.. bought a cheap kit on ebay, but instructions are vague..does anyone know an easy way to make the connections?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ive thought about that myself. Principally you are paralleling the switch in the door.

As an aside id take the car to a locksmith and see if they could free up the door locks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Go to the kick panel on the passenger side. The big metal box behind there is the relay that controls the door locks

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
All the connections you need to make can be done at the wiring by the relay.
I have used several of the cheapy remote door lock setups with great success.
The wiring at the control/receiver can be tricky in that you need to pigtail the power feed and ground to the relay wires at the receiver

·
Registered
258 Posts
if your going to install remote power door locks minus well take the door locks out to clean and lube them. may also want to take the door latches out and clean/lube them also. your issue may not even be entirely with the lock and may partially with the latch. what kit do you have? how each kit is wired may be different.

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
Once you go through the remote setup to get them programmed I don't think you will have a concern about that anymore.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So each installation has unique coding?
depends on the kit. if it is a cheap enough kit it likely doesn't need to be programmed or any unique code. it may just be some basic remotes that connect to the box only and are hard to replace if needed. if you are consider doing something like this may be better off buying something more like a remote start and use it to control locking/unlocking of the vehicle. they can usually be bought cheap 2nd hand from people who bought them with intentions of installing them but never did. i know that is what i use to control the doors on my elcamino. they also have the ability to engage the security system if you have one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Perfect timing, I just did this with the cheap one from amazon. Works great. below is my review, PM me if u need help....

Thank you to all the reviewers who told what they did to get it to work. I couldn't find anywhere that said if a gbody or 5th generation El Camino had a negative or positive trigger. Some people said no relay needed but I just connected the common to the switch in and the "NO" *Normally Opened" to the 12 volt and it now triggers the door lock relay. What finally worked for my 1982 El Camino was:

Behind the passenger kick panel is the door lock relay.

Wires to work are:
Car -> Keyless unit's harness
Orang/Black -> Red, Yellow and Yellow Black
light blue -> white
black -> white/black
Ground -> Black

I guess according to the diagram, that makes my car a negative trigger.
I didn't use any other cables and I left the unit on the passenger side up behind the dash by the side of the glove box.

It works as other reviewers said. You have to hit lock and then unlock for it to unlock the doors if you locked them with the door switch, but it's no issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts