El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the dash/gauge cluster from my '64 to clean it up and repaint it. I can't figure out how to remove the ignition switch and headlight switch. Any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
On the headlight switch, pull it full on, reach behind the switch and you will find a small button (spring loaded) push it down, push the headlight switch completely off while holding the button in, pull it full on again(still while holding button in) and the plunger should release. It may take a couple of tries, but that is how to remove the plunger, then using a spanner wrench or plyers remove the inner retainer, switch should then be out.

For the ignition switch, you will need to straighten a paper clip, turn the ign. switch to the acc. position, insert the paper clip into the small hole in the switch, lock cylinder should release,then remove remainder of switch retainer with a spanner wrench or plyers, that should get you on your way. You may have to turn the switch to different positions , but if I remember correct it is the Acc. position. to release it.

It has been a while since I've removed an older ign. switch , I don't believe I missed any thing. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
...For the ignition switch, you will need to straighten a paper clip, insert the key, turn the ign. switch to the acc. position, insert the paper clip into the small hole in the switch, Turn the key just a bit farther, lock cylinder should release,then remove remainder of switch retainer with a spanner wrench or plyers, that should get you on your way. You may have to turn the switch to different positions , but if I remember correct it is the Acc. position. to release it.

It has been a while since I've removed an older ign. switch , I don't believe I missed any thing. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Mike
fixed it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts