El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the pod on my 78 today for paint and to apply new dash cap... now that it is off would you suggest doing anything before I replace. This is the first time it has been removed, and other than the clock all gauges appear to be in working order. Should I replace the copper and bulbs in the back for good measure? Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would check to make sure all the bulbs are working and replace any that are burnt out. Or you could replace all of them with newer, brighter ones. Other than that you should be good unless you want to replace the clock or replace it with a delete plate.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think they make new ones but not sure. You'll have to check out the aftermarket places like opgi or the el camino store but they're probably going to be pretty pricey. Probably better off finding a used one. As for the bulbs you can find them at auto parts stores. Those might be kind of pricey too. I was going to switch all mine but could only find sylvania ones that were like 3-4 bucks for 2 bulbs. I just ended up grabbing a bunch when I went to the junkyard. I'm sure others on here will have more info for you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
there is a sticky on here that talks about referbing the clock. I found that a lil too late i just tore mine apart n now i would like a new 1. at least i think its a sticky:dontknow: not to sure but i know i did read something that someone posted a step by step on how to take apart and clean all connections.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, i read the sticky and very helpful. Wondering now sence it is out if I should meke the inverstment in new circut board before I put back in... How long would we expect these to last? Going on 35 years???

·
Supporting Member
4,471 Posts

·
Supporting Member
4,471 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Dash Out

I would lube the speedo, go over ALL wiring, pay close attention to the AC box, replace EVERY light I could find with the brighter ones, fix/replace clock, and generally study everything I could see to determine if there is anything I could do to preserve the operation of items under the dash. It will never be this easy to access again.
Good Luck,
bill

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure if you're done putting things back together but I found this article and used a lot of the information to do my cluster in my 83 and it worked good. As far as the light bulbs... the stock bulbs were usually 168's and weren't very bright, if you switch to 194's they will work better and they are very common so they shouldn't be that costly. Here is that article...

http://www.montecarloss.com/Dash_Lights.html

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I would lube the speedo, go over ALL wiring, pay close attention to the AC box, replace EVERY light I could find with the brighter ones, fix/replace clock, and generally study everything I could see to determine if there is anything I could do to preserve the operation of items under the dash. It will never be this easy to access again.
Good Luck,
bill
I agree is most everything here, ESPECIALLY, lube the speedo cable AND the speedo shaft. Lights are fairly well accessable when you replace the pod, just try them. As far as higher wattage, yes and no. Don't go too high, as that adds heat, and you don't want to be melting/burning holes in your pod. NOW, you can put in slightly higher wattage, and you can turn the rheostat down to compensate. You can't turn down the lights with LED's. The very best thing to do is spray paint everything on the back side of gauges and front side of back of pod with white paint. My lights on gauges are about 80% brighter now, and I can see things I couldn't before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts