El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a EC in the salvage yard last week ,It had a perfect rear window, no scratches and it was also a tinted one.I returned the next day with my removing tools and a friend [Earl] and pulled it.It was a tough job!!I was just curious if anyone has any tips on getting these rascals in and out.I just bought this for a spare to have,I hope I don't ever need it.The hard part was cutting around the lower corners,I do have the tool from Eastwood for cutting around the glass but could'nt use it in those tight corners

·
Registered
349 Posts
i'm taking it out from my 79 parts car for an extra. mine is already unglued along the bottom due to rust so i guess i have a head start! 8)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear Glass 5th Gen

Being unglued at the bottom and the corners will be a big help removing the glass," but be gentle"!!.This EC I pulled the glass from had a cap on it protecting the metal around it , the seal was like new making it more difficult to cut. These hard to find parts are a good thing to put back,[Just in case].

·
Registered
129 Posts
In lieu of piano wire, I used a length of wire used to hang pictures. You can get that stuff almost anywhere and it's pretty strong stuff. What I did on my '77 was push the wire through from the inside and my father-in-law took some needle nose pliers and pulled enough outside to wrap around the pliers a couple of times. From the inside, I wrapped my end of the wire around a screwdriver handle and we just pulled the wire along the seal to cut it all the way around. Then I gave the glass a gentle push while my father-in-law caught it from the outside. It was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i've heard of using a wire coat hanger but i havent tried it. i think it wouldnt be flexible enough for the curves.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
silver_79_elky said:
i've heard of using a wire coat hanger but i havent tried it. i think it wouldnt be flexible enough for the curves.
A wire coat hanger is the wrong size it will probably end up braking the window. The 5th gens have that curved window in the back and it is a pain in the butt to take out. Mine also had let go most of the way along the bottom. The corners were still attached. I had a knife edge scraper and wire. I used the knofe edge scraper for the large areas and for the corners I used the wire. It was something like a wire you use to hang pictures only one strand. It had handles on it so I guess it was made for that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5th Gen. Rear Window

The wire might be answer for the corners.If there's a next time I'll try it thanks.I agree ,a coat hanger would be to large and stiff.Good for opening your door if you lock your keys inside though!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
How are you supposed to get the trim off around the window? I used a putty knife in a parts car and beat up the trim a little bit. I ws wondering if there was a better way.

·
Registered
349 Posts
1982 SS said:
How are you supposed to get the trim off around the window? I used a putty knife in a parts car and beat up the trim a little bit. I ws wondering if there was a better way.
the trim around my rear window was bad anyway so i just yanked it off real hard. you can try one of those trim removal tools. i have a 10 in 1 tool i got for $3 at the parts store.

also,has anyone used one of those windshield cutting tools they have at the parts store? i was thinking of getting one of those to take the windshield out of the parts car also and maybe i could use it for the back window.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rear window 5th Gen

A tool is available at most part stores for removing front and rear window mldgs and dirt cheap. Just slide it behind the mldg and down to the lower lip and lift up on the clips.Try not to ruin the trim around the rear window its very hard to find and very costly..I ,m not sure if its still available anymore. I bought the four pcs new from The El camino store about 5 yrs ago I belive it was over two hundred dollars.I tried GM but could'nt get it.

I also have the tool that you mention for cutting out the glass, it worked great but not down in those lower corners on the rear glass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Once you get as much of the glue cut as you can go to the inside and gently push on the top. You should be able to fit a razor in the area around the corners, then just cut the glue. thats what i did on mine and it worked alright. I also cheated on the rest of it and used an Excaliber.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rear window 5th gen

Thats about the same way I removed mine,I was being very careful not to break it so it took me much longer than it should. Also,What is a Excaliber? Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Rear window 5th Gen

87last1 said:
. Just slide it behind the mldg and down to the lower lip and lift up on the clips..
Im trying to figure out taking off the chrome on my cabllero and I have a rear window in my 82 EC part car Im wanting to take out just to store. So could you fill me in on about taking the moulding around the windows. I've never done this so you can talk like your telling a child lol and I won't mind. I also wonder if theres books on some things about removel of chrome and other boddy work?
Thanks for your help and time Don G.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts