El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Haven't posted in a few years, moved to a new house and my 1987 SS sat in the garage while I fixed up the house. Now with 2 weeks forced vacation I'm going to be working on the Elky.
My first question is how to remove these body panels next to the back window. I removed the 2 screws but they are still stuck in there tight. What's holding it in there? Can I pry them off, I don't want to bend them. Maybe window sealant is holding it in? I'm going to remove the rear window as well and replace all of the window molding clips, but one thing at a time!
Thanks
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Dave, those are know as 'sail panels' and most likely they are being held in by excess window sealant. The ones in my 86 were so gummed up I bent one in the removal process. I had never removed one before and didn't know what was behind them. I used gentle prying all around and eventually broke them loose. In hindsight, I probably should have tried to work a piece of piano wire behind them.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I had to use a heat gun, being careful all the while to not let it get too hot and boil the paint or get too close to the glass that it cracks. Slow and careful.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hello Dave, your initial post was 20+ days ago...so wondering how much progress/success you've had with removing sail panels? Like the dmosko cautions...go slow and careful so you don't damage the finish.

In working on my '87, I've found that heat works wonders with separating parts on our older cars. I've even found that GM used adhesives/bonding agent and some kind of sealant between structural body panels.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Hello Dave, your initial post was 20+ days ago...so wondering how much progress/success you've had with removing sail panels? Like the dmosko cautions...go slow and careful so you don't damage the finish.

In working on my '87, I've found that heat works wonders with separating parts on our older cars. I've even found that GM used adhesives/bonding agent and some kind of sealant between structural body panels.
Yes Handy I removed the sails 2 years ago by removing the screws and gently heating and pulling away the sails. They've since been put back on and primed/painted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts