El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up an '86 with a good deal of white over-spray on the plastic fender wells. Both inside the wheel wells and engine compartment. Tried a bit of acetone with no avail. Anyone run across this before and have an acceptable solution for removal? Would the wells be immune to paint stripper (such as Aircraft Remover etc)?

·
Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
471 Posts
I’ve never had much luck getting old paint off plastic. Acetone usually makes it worse as it melts plastic. Maybe try a higher grit sandpaper and work your way down? Or just pop it out and spray it with truck bed liner? You have a picture of it? Fender wells are usually just held in by plastic push pins and maybe a couple real screws. Once you remove any screws, you can just rip it out by hand, or pry at it with a screwdriver. Those old push pins will break off pretty easily. Buy more at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,480 Posts
Headlight lens polishing kit.
The problem with plastic is its semi impossible to get that mirror factory finish once scratched by sandpaper or any type of abrasive wheel, you can always see where it hit. Overspray is usually just buffed off regular paint, blended into it, but pure plastic doesn't get that, so trying to match its surface really sucks.

Spraying them with bed liner paint (after a good bath) will make them a uniform color and hide all the imperfections, with the side benefit of giving the fenderwell another layer of protection from water or salt or rocks etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
First off taking off the wheel liners is not a plastic clip and rip out job. Taking off the wheels and the battery and bat tray to get to the BOLTS takes time ( at least on my '84). I used paint stripper on mine and thanks to the EPA is not nearly as strong as it used to be. I used a combination of gloves, thinner, paint stripper, a 3M red scuff pad and a power washer and I still have traces of over spray on mine.

·
Super Moderator
6,182 Posts
I can't speak to plastic. However, there was definite overspray on the black gloss painted steel wells. I used a little acetone (may need to avoid on plastic), some Goof Off (see label if OK for plastics), and a 25 year old can of a liquid medium rubbing compound. All hand done and it came out almost looking resprayed. You can still see it behind the A/C components in the passenger side by the firewall. My short legs and short arms with large hands could not reach that area. The compound got most of it. You could try a lower cut compound, and then increase it if needed. Find an inconspicuous spot, like near the battery tray for your test spots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts