El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there someone in our region close to Ft Pierce that has removed the smog equip that I could talk to and get some info. I am trying to figure out whether to remove or replace parts on current smog equip. Thanks.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
My best advice would be to PM 464Elky (Neil) with your specific questions. He is in West Palm. You can't go wrong with any advice you get from him!

:beer:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
My best advice would be to PM 464Elky (Neil) with your specific questions. He is in West Palm. You can't go wrong with any advice you get from him!

:beer:

X2 on Neil

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,609 Posts
Not sure if you got the info you are seeking but would suggest that you take a cruise up to the Beach Blast Show in Cocoa Beach that several of us are attending May 19 and 20 . There are several members who have done or had this conversion done for them . They would be glad to show you their vehicle , you can ask questions and take some photos . Probably best to come around 11 am to 3 pm as they will up and about and in the area . Check in on the Beach Blast forum for more info . We would enjoy meeting you .

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
When I bought my 86 the PO had removed smog equip. all hoses & lines,pump,cat,etc.,but left the computer controlled carb.& distrib.This made the comp. default to rich settings on carb,bad milage,fumes etc.The only cure was to go to a non computer type carb & distib.I installed a Edelbrock int.manifold & carb.& a vacuum type Procomp Distrib.This took care of the problem,I now get 18.5 mpg on hwy w/a/c on.It runs good ,starts easy,idles good.Be prepared to put some $$$ into your car before starting to remove the smog crap.good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
smog removal

There is some equipment you can remove that does not effect the computer. You need to take it one item at a time. I would suggest you go to Helminc.com and buy a GM service manual. They have in depth discussion on the emission control equipment. They will tell you which ones are connected to the computer. PM me with your questions and give me your email address.

Harris

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
it's an all or nothing proposition - if you take one thing out that will then feed erronious info to the computer which will then adjust everything on the computer to the wrong setting.

the good news is your car will run fine without the computer and everything it manipulates. you'll need to rewire the cruise control and the torque converter lockup when you're done, but they aren't difficult. you'll need a different dizzy and non-computer carb. may as well get an intake manifold w/o egr, too.

yeah, you can spend a few bucks to take it out - or a few buck to replace whatever it is you might need to replace on your current set up. you probably will not get as good gas mileage w/o the ecm in line.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there a major drop in gas mileage 2 or 3 miles/gal or are we talking 0.5 miles/gal to 1 miles/gal? :???: I just put this one up there to see it spin. :let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I removed the AIR pump and all associated lines, including removal of the cat. I got no codes from the computer, and it ran just as good as it did before I removed the emissions equipment. I didn't see a drop in mpg, I wasn't fueling up any more often than I was before. This won't add much power, it cleans up the engine bay and you get rid of equipment that was garbage from the factory, and its one less thing to go wrong.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
The parts Mike removed are about all there is to the "SMOG" stuff, and you can remove them without affecting the ECM. The ECM is there to manage fuel, and any of the sensors it needs to do it's job need to be in place and working. Remove any of them, and the ECM will likely go to Limp Home mode (Full Rich, no dist advance). Like the others said, you can remove more, but be prepared for a new carb, distributor, and means for Trans Lock-up.

I would estimate mileage drop of 1-3 MPG, but that's just a guess. If your current system if running poorly, you might see an increase. A good running CCC Q-jet should give close to 20 hwy, 17 town.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
it's an all or nothing proposition - if you take one thing out that will then feed erronious info to the computer which will then adjust everything on the computer to the wrong setting.

the good news is your car will run fine without the computer and everything it manipulates. you'll need to rewire the cruise control and the torque converter lockup when you're done, but they aren't difficult. you'll need a different dizzy and non-computer carb. may as well get an intake manifold w/o egr, too.

yeah, you can spend a few bucks to take it out - or a few buck to replace whatever it is you might need to replace on your current set up. you probably will not get as good gas mileage w/o the ecm in line.
I agree with you 100% Ed.I know this from first hand experience.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the idea of the ecm managing fuel but my issue now is getting the right sensors that are broken and also the connectors that go to the sensors. I went to the chevy dealer who gave me a great diaghram but getting the new sensors has been difficult. Not sure of next step. May take pump off just to clean up engine bay though. The engine runs rough when first started but after warming up it gets ok? Can you get ecm codes on check engine lite on 85 model with use of paper clip? I am a bit hung up on next step. Get rid of ecm or keep? Thanks to all who have responded. I will let everyone know what I finally do. Thanks again.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
Yes you can use the paper clip to get codes !!
Have you got the carb rebuilt ?? It might need after 27 years ??
I took all my emission & ECM off my 84 ! I like all the room I have around the engine !

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
87nextolast1 how did you deal with cruise control and convertor lock up. Engine bay looks good with stuff gone. Thanks.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
I don't have cruise & the tranny is unplugged ! So the lockup is not working & the tranny runs fine !

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the lock up is not required unless you are running an overdrive trans.a non od trans will live for ever disconnected but the od trans will overheat and burn up without it.when i disconnected the ecm on my 86 years ago i lost 5 mpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts