·
Premium Member
844 Posts
That work with a std trans also?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Help!

I did just like your pics showed, but I haven't put the floor shifter in yet. Now it won't come out of park!!!!

kidding! :) lol

I think your idea is very creative - seriously

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Will column still lock with man trans?
How about having to twist the bowl?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Excellent photos and great solution for an inexpensive fix - we need final paint photos - thx this is on my list of to-do's

·
Registered
230 Posts
shifter lock

when you switch shifter to floor you still keep the rod on coulum and need linkage bracket that is for floor shifter from factory it ties in the steering and floor shifter so shifter and steering lock it is available from dixie montecarlo.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not the way I did it. look at the pics and read the captions.

:secret:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
added more clear and baked it on

:nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice Idea, and well done, I like the way you locked the the linkage at the base of the column. I was thinking about doing something like this to my car when I got to that point in reassembly. My car is a Auto to Manual conversion.

Tho one thing to note as far as safety goes, by doing this, you are able to shut the key off and put the column in the locked position with the car running down the road. On a manual transmission car the column would have a thumb lever that had to be pushed in order to turn the key to the locked position (a two step process, just like an auto you have to have the car in park). It's just something to think about. Some may be concerned about it others may not. Myself I was just going to disable the wheel lock even tho I'm quite sure I wouldn't forget and turn the key off while I was going down the road. :smile2:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Read the captions again. When using an auto floor shifter, come out of the factory NS switch, into another switch on the floor shifter, then to the starter. Can just splice into the wire coming out of the factory switch. Extend it to the new shifter's switch, then from there, back into the starter side of the wire you spliced into.

One wire comes out of factory switch and goes to starter. Cut that about 6 inches from the switch. take the part that connects to the switch, add wire, and run to the new shifter's switch. From new switch, run to the other end of the wire you just cut. This way, except for two pieces of wire about 3 ft long (hidden by console and up under the dash), you are using the factory wiring too. Solder/shrink wrap your splices.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My solution is sitting in a box downstairs - refurbished tilt column for floor shift with "comfort grip" sport wheel. :nanawrench: But... started thinking about leaving the column shift lever alone now. That way I can have a center console with more room for stuff like cup holders, electric window switches, etc. A shifter takes up a lot of space.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the other hand, those columns aren't easy to find anymore.

Doing that to mine cost me $5.95 plus tax (for the JB Weld) and 2 days time, mostly because I let it bake in the sun for a whole day. Actually took about 2.5 hrs of "working on it" time, incl remove/replace column.

Ya works with what ya got!

I learned "adapt and overcome" from somewhere when I was younger. :wink1:

:nanawrench:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts