El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1972 El Camino. The driver's side wiper arm is loose and flops around ineffectively when the wipers are turned on. I removed the arm and it's pretty clear why: there's no spring, and the clip that holds the arm onto the knurled knob is also missing.

I have a couple questions about how to fix and/or replace it...

1. Can I use a passenger side wiper? I found a passenger side arm that's in tact, but it doesn't fit onto the knurled knob because there's a notch on the driver's side that isn't on the passenger side.

2. Also the driver's side has an extra rod that connects the wiper blade to a pin in the body. (currently that pin just sits in a hole. seems kind of janky because I can just pull it out) Why is one side different than the other?

3. Does anyone know of a good place to buy a replacement? In case it's unclear what I'm describing, here's what mine look like:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't mind spending $80 for the pair. Could you send me a link to wherever you saw that?

It's just annoying because I found tons of passenger side arms in good shape at a junk yard a couple days ago. I bought one for $5 just to test if it would work on the driver's side (it didn't). Do you know is it a pattern? Does the driver's side always fail first?

Similarly, do you how the pin that holds the extra arm (only on the driver's side) is supposed to work? Mine just slides into a hole in the sheet metal. I'm very skeptical that's how it should be.

·
Registered
12,535 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Were there two wiper offerings in 1972 for El Camino?
Which do you need?

Standard (non concealed)
Hidden (not easily seen from outside of car when wipers not in use)

Check the customer comment, titled "WRONG PART" on the OPGI wiper arms about fitment issue for standard (non concealed).
https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1970/windshield-washer/wiper-arms/CH23638/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as for the extra arm on the driver side
all the pin does is hold the extra arm still, so the blade rotates at each end of the sweep.
Does it matter that there doesn't seem to be anything holding down the bin (besides gravity)? I can pull the pin in/out with my fingers. It seems to stay put, but if I'm gonna spend $100+ for a replacement arm I'd like to make sure I can install it correctly.

(Whoever painted my car did a really nice job on the paint, but then did a lot of small, lazy quick fixes when it came time to put all the parts back on.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. I have a replacement set on the way. But I'm not sure what hardware will be included. I can see from the photos that the springs and the guts inside the arm are there. But I doubt it will include a replacement pin... seems like something that's not supposed to come in and out.

@Judge do you know is that hardware something I can find at a hardware store and redo myself? I'm not familiar with that type of fitting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So it's the ring that should hold the pin onto the outside of the car? I'm not clear how it works. And when I Google it I get a different plumbing application of a similar name. Is the pin also damaged? I'm having a hard time picturing the correct installation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The hole for the pin is a bit hard to see because the paint covers it a bit. I have a feeling the pin isn't supposed to come out of the hole. :-/

·
Registered
12,535 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow thanks guys! This is really helpful info. It looks like this is what I need:

But I'm still a little confused because my pin doesn't look like the replacement piece. Maybe the previous owner improvised something? Or maybe the pin that I'm removing is only part of the replacement piece? It's hard to see because as you can see from the photo, the paint covers all but a small hole where the pin fits.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out how the replacement piece attaches to the car? Should there be a splined socket where the new piece fits in? Does it just press in?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts