El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I did search this, but didn't see the answer I was looking for. Forgive me if this has been covered before.

I have an 83 El Camino with the 305 engine. I was working on a tune up today, replacing the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor.

Having some experience with this much, I knew to be careful with replacing the cap and rotor and the wires. I'm 99.9% sure I didn't switch any wires up and that I didn't turn the distributor when replacing the cap and rotor.

HOWEVER, now it will crank and crank and crank, but will not fire over and start. I checked power to the coil and it's good. I checked for spark at the plugs and didn't find any.

Is this a bad or weak coil by any chance? Is there another way I can check the coil? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks!

· Registered
308 Posts
Couple of quick checks.

I'd make sure the cap is sitting squarely on the base plate of the distributor. Also, make sure you have a good connection with the batt lead to the cap.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did replace the brush and spring under there. I also went and got a new coil just to be sure. Now, it fired up and ran for about 2 minutes, then shut off and isn't starting again. I put the old rotor back in, figured I'd put everything back the way it was, and see if I could figure out what I did wrong.

Putting the old rotor in made it start the one time. Now, nothing once again. I'm puzzled as hell. It shouldn't be that difficult should it?

· Deputy Director Region 8
3,014 Posts
It shouldn't be that difficult should it? --- Nope, dont ya love Murphys Law?? Check the ground strap(metal one under the coil cover) and rest of the wire leads for good contact and ensure the metal prongs for the power and pick up coil and module are entack, I have had a wire break on the module before,, pull the module and have it checked at a parts store, if it is bad repalce the pick up coil along with it,, Matty man

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to dig a little bit and check all the leads and module, etc. But I put all the old parts back on (not the plugs/wires) and still nothing.

Is there any possibility that this is just an unlucky coincidence and has nothing to do with the distributor at all? I'm stumped.

· Deputy Director Region 8
3,014 Posts
Before you changed the cap and all the cruck ran correct?? Check the module,, it is a crank no start with no spark correct?? And you have a full 12 volts for the power lead?? Keep pluggin` away,, I have had these type of problems before,, you`ll get it,, besides this is my 1000 post!!!!!:nanawrench::nanawrench:

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It always ran well prior to this. I had a little trouble starting this afternoon before I changed the plugs, but figured it was no big deal. It fired right up after plugs/wires, but not much since. Started and ran once for about two minutes.

Another member told me to try the module too. Where is it located? I can't find it in my haynes manual.

Congrats on the 1,000th post!

· Registered
276 Posts
It does. I just couldn't find it in the manual at first. I'll be heading to Autozone tomorrow to pick it up along with a condenser I guess, and report back when I get it replaced.

Thanks again everyone.
I had it happen on my 87 GMC SWB Sierra Classic the last time I did my cap & rotor. Drove me nuts too.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Strange that it would do that with new parts installed.

Either way, it's a good way to keep me humble. If I would have been successful right away with the tune up, I would've thought I hadn't lost a step.

· Registered
346 Posts
Back in the day I had a '79 Impala wagon with a 305 - the module went out once at a stop sign! After replacing it I always carried a spare. Used the spare when the module failed again with family in the car - it was a life saver!:nanawrench:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.