El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a year of endless work I can show some of my progress. The low mile 1981 El Camino SS was bought with a 231” Buick engine. I have installed a new BluePrint 383 rated at 430 hp and 450 torque. Behind it is a new Performance Automatic TH350 street & strip lifetime warrantied transmission. I topped the long block with an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold and a Holley XP 750 cfm carburetor. A stock HEI lights the fire for now. Jeg’s ceramic coated headers and 2 1/2” dual exhaust, to the rear bumper, get rid of the exhaust fumes. I installed a CRF black serpentine single belt system that included a new AC compressor, new 140 amp alternator, and a new power steering pump with remote reservoir . The cooling is done by the biggest 4 row radiator with dual electric fans that I could fit in the truck. Gas and transmission lines were built using AN hose and fittings. There is a 50 mg filter before the 80 gpm mechanical fuel pump and a 10 mg filter before the carburetor. Getting an air filter to fit under the hood was an ordeal of mix and match parts and children’s clay to find a gap. The engine didn’t make enough vacuum so a CVF electric vacuum pump was added. Attached are a couple of pictures of the progress. Also included is a picture of the transmission case that was windowed on initial start up. This caused a months delay in order to R & R the transmission and ship it back. Luckily I bought it from Summit Racing and they shipped me a new transmission in exchange so I wouldn’t have to wait any longer. An additional electric transmission cooler was added fo insure against any over heating problems. EVERY AC part was replaced and now it finally blows 40 degree air
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Light Automotive design
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas
Photograph White Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Font Asphalt Soil Automotive tire Bumper
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Steering part
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Light Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Photograph White Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Asphalt Soil Automotive tire Bumper Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Steering part on a 90 degree day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts