El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. replaced the knock sensor then timed it at 6btdc cleared the computer then hooked up the vacuum gauge and it's reading around 19 in the green with a steady needle. At idle it's running at 1020 RPM'S and in gear with my foot on the break it's idling at 720RPM'S. Should I lower the idle or the timing well I'm going for a ride and then I will pull the codes again and see where I'm at and go from there unless It should be set lower before I start driving and have to fix it and start over?:dontknow:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
maybe just a tad bit high drive it see how it does before changing it......:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe just a tad bit high drive it see how it does before changing it......:beer:

Adjust the idle down correct?

Thanks

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im sorry yes adjust idle down a lil bit:beer:
O.K I'm down to only a code 45. The truck doesn't like it set at 6-BTDC this is the second time and it feels sluggish from a stop like it's not getting enough gas or too much. At 8-BTDC I'm not having that problem. Now on my vacuum gauge it was steady at 19 in the green but shouldn't it be around 15/16? I didn't unplug the dist. when doing the vacuum test I forgot to check the book.
I haven't changed the idle yet or the timing what do you think should my next move be?
Thanks
Robert

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
No need to unplug dizzy for checking vacuum. Did you put in a new o2 sensor during the swap?? Try putting it at 10* cant hurt.
Good luck:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No need to unplug dizzy for checking vacuum. Did you put in a new o2 sensor during the swap?? Try putting it at 10* cant hurt.
Good luck:beer:

No the o2 sensor was less than a year old and I replaced it twice trying to pass smog. I'll up it and see what happens.
Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did you swap out the ESC also? That needs to be one for a 350. Check your other thread asking for the Knock Sensor part number. I put a link in there with both the knock sensor and ESC part numbers.

And just to add to the confusion, which ECM are you running? When I built up my LG4, it was a lot happier after i switched to a Monte L69 ECM. You might want to try and track down a ZZ4 chip and see if that makes a difference.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you swap out the ESC also? That needs to be one for a 350. Check your other thread asking for the Knock Sensor part number. I put a link in there with both the knock sensor and ESC part numbers.

And just to add to the confusion, which ECM are you running? When I built up my LG4, it was a lot happier after i switched to a Monte L69 ECM. You might want to try and track down a ZZ4 chip and see if that makes a difference.

O.k. Thanks once I get this straight I will come over one weekend to see your setup
Thanks
Robert

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesterday before replacing the knock sensor I was pulling codes 43/45 replaced the knock sensor and reset the timing to 6 BDTC. The engine didn't like the timing and i pulled a code 45. Today I replaced The ESC and reset the timing to 8/9 BTDC. The engine loves the timing it just gets up and goes but now I'm back to a code 43 only (ELECT. SPARK TIMING) Shows poor connection witch doesn't apply because I already got rid of that code last night and it's plugged in correctly.

So now the knock sensor is for a 350 and the ECS also so where am I at now:dontknow: Computer chip for a 350:dontknow: Let the computer learn the new sensors for a couple of days:beer:

To me she runs sweet with or without air in the city/freeway but I haven't tried driving freeway with a hill to see if all my power is there but I sure have it now with no heating issues. What do you think? Just go with the flow she's running good or what's the next step to get rid of this code 43?:nanawrench:
Thanks
Robert

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Here's the number off my ECM / OEM factory original 1987 305.

SERV. 1228079 / 860671 / M612546958

I looked up the ECS and came up with this prom chip for a 1987 Blazer 5.7 350 is this something I should be looking into? The only thing it doesn't show my TH2004r trans. but it probably wasn't offered for the Blazer.? I see it shows 3-speed and I have overdrive but I can call them if I should be replacing this too.?

Representative
JET Performance - Performance Control Module
JET Performance - Performance Control Module

Call for pricing
& availability

(323) 261-6295
Add to Printable List
Online: Currently Unavailable
Store: Call Store for Details

Performance Upgrade
Stage 1
Stage 1
50 State Legal
THM400, THM180C, MD2 3 Speed Automatic Transmission
Quantity Per Vehicle: 1

Part # : 28703 | Line: JET -

Robert

·
Registered
195 Posts
I doubt the ECM is throwing your code—it isn't critical but I mentioned it as an aside for helping out performance and getting your engine to run a little smoother. The ECM controls the timing curve and lock up. Since you're running more power now, the more aggressive timing curves of the L69 or ZZ4 PROMs will be better suited for your new level of performance. I wouldn't bother going with an aftermarket chip, you can find used L69 ECMs for $25–$75 on [email protected]

As a note, the ECM has a part number (1228079) and the chip itself has a four letter code, which I think for an L69 is ACFZ. The ECM number will be the same for an 87–88 but the four letter suffix will be different for each application. You might want to ping Darbysan (Mike). He's a bit more knowledgeable about the differences on this stuff.

This thread from Montecarloss.com has good info on ECM operation.
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=822513

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I doubt the ECM is throwing your code—it isn't critical but I mentioned it as an aside for helping out performance and getting your engine to run a little smoother. The ECM controls the timing curve and lock up. Since you're running more power now, the more aggressive timing curves of the L69 or ZZ4 PROMs will be better suited for your new level of performance. I wouldn't bother going with an aftermarket chip, you can find used L69 ECMs for $25–$75 on [email protected]

As a note, the ECM has a part number (1228079) and the chip itself has a four letter code, which I think for an L69 is ACFZ. The ECM number will be the same for an 87–88 but the four letter suffix will be different for each application. You might want to ping Darbysan (Mike). He's a bit more knowledgeable about the differences on this stuff.

This thread from Montecarloss.com has good info on ECM operation.
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=822513

I'll do that Mike has helped me a lot and he will know what's going on.
Thanks again
Robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts