El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Just the rear alone, and not the intermidiate harness? I have a couple used ones laying around.

G

·
0 Posts
Pretty much the whole harness going from the fuse block back. Where it goes through the hole in the spare tire area on back, it's been "replaced" with wires of all the same color with wire nuts at the splices. The tail light harness had a trailer plug at one time and is pieced together with tape :roll: It's a real mess, a wonder it even works at all 8O . Shoot me a PM with details on the harness you have!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't know if these guys make them for the newer cars (kinda weird to say that) but i know they make the best ones for the older cars... Complete with all the lights & connectors, correct color wires, etc etc...

http://www.wiringharness.com/

From what I understand painless's kits are FAR from painless- although i have heard they have good customer support...

-Ben

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SOOOOOOOO close! when I typed in the info for '78 it said "Sorry, but we have no harnesses available for the year and model you selected." :cry: Looks promising though, I'll have to e-mail them to see if they consider that a "custom" harness, maybe they'll make one that way :?

·
Registered
5 Posts
painless wiring

a friend of mine has a 31 ford with a blown sbc. he used a painless 18 circuit. it is a universal kit but has basically a stock chevy fuse block and wire coloring. it wasnt bad for him cause the car was bare but he said once the car is apart its easy. i was asking cause my 74 has to have the worst wiring gm ever made. my othe oone was the same, but my 77 was fine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I redid my 85 Jeep CJ 7 a couple years ago I got a kit from Painless Wiring to do it. Granted it was a universal kit but VERY easy to use as all of the wires are labeled as to where they go and what they do. That was my first experience with them and liked it.

hope this helps :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuse Box Splicing?

Ok;

So how tuff is it to splice the fuse box from an Elky on the way to heaven via the crusher, to an elky on the way back to the road. The Elky I am restoring has a rusted out fuse box which is causing the electrical system to, uh..not work. I have access to a really good fuse box in a junker elky. They are both same make and model (75 Elky Classic w/AC).

Is splicing a real pain in the ass or can it be done?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently nobody makes one directly for a '78. I've been looking all afternoon and somehow ended up over here looking for some help but found your having the same problem as me. Everyone seems to make them for up to '72.

I'm looking for a harness from the firewall forward for a '78.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The Wiring Harness that Painless has for the 72 Chevelle will work (18 Circuit) but you will have to modify some connectors. I am putting that in my 80 SS. The Ignition wiring is the same still and that is my main worry. The Dash has been modified with non factory gages so I didn't care that the wiring to those things were broken out and customized anyway.

If you are comfortable with wiring and wire termination then that would be an acceptable upgrade. It has things that come with it that are not included in a factory wiring harness and an updated fuse box. The Whole harness in the truck will be replaced by the painless set up all the way from headlights to tail lights. Or the one I got does. I haven't done a lot with it I have been laid up unable to work on my trucks.

Just my two cents.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Contact Painless and tell them which computer you've got and they can fill any order. My buddy has used two painless wiring harnesses. One for a stock '82 and one for an '85 SS going to an LT-1 engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased the engine wiring harness for my 82 SS from wiringharness.com and it was an exact replacement of what was there. I am waiting to hear back from them if they can make the harness that goes from the ECU to the engine compartment. The main issue they are having is a lack of certain connector terminals. My fingers are cross because there is NO WAY I can use the old harness. After looking at it closely, I am surprised this thing has not burned to the ground already!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts