El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
My 1987 305 runs like crap. I would like to remove the jungle of hoses and unknown gadgets that cover the motor, and replace with a new performance manifold and Holley carb-nice and simple like the old days! But I have a computer box and all sorts of wires. What do I do with all this stuff, just disconnect everything? What else does that computer control? Any experience doing this? My last project was a '55 with a 1970 350. I'm lost with this 87...Thanks

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
First thing to consider is if you have to meet emissions standards in your state. You may have trouble with that with your proposed changes.

If emissions isn't an issue that is great. After 25yrs TX removes those requirements.

Your current distributor is probably tied into the ECM (computer control) so that too will need to be swapped for a different HEI model. Then there is plenty of air pump plumbing to be dealt with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked where I get my other car fixed, and they said no emissions requirements on an 87 in Massachusetts. I would verify that with several sources though. Any of you MA guys know about this?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,314 Posts
You could send off your quadrajet to Mountain Man Carbs & have rebuilt for around $200 & it will run great & cheaper then a new carb & intake !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car came with 3 carbs. One appears to be a brand new rebuild. Makes me wonder why he had a brand new carb, and left the bad one on. I wonder if there is another issue, and he was replacing carbs for no reason. Could the ECM be causing carb issues?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts