El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 72 Elky which has a ripped up bench seat. I found a local junkyard with a 1973 El Camino. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the 73 bench seat will fit in the 72.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
You may need to measure them.
I think the '70 is 54 inches wide.

The '73 refers to 56 inches of hip room, so it may be 2 inches wider.

A previous owner installed a Strato Bench (likely from a 1970 Riviera) in my '70.
That seat is 55 inches wide. That extra inch caused difficulty when installing an aftermarket retractable seat/shoulder belt set. The aftermarket retractor would not fit between the door and seat.

If you measure and there is only an inch difference, you should be able to fit it.
However, Get the tracks for both sets of seats. You may need to replace them to get the correct height and width align. Also, make sure to get the headrests and seat adjustor knobs.

If you measure and it is wider than 55 inches, that will be difficult.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Do you know if the '70 and '72 should be the same? My understanding is that most stuff is interchangeable between '68-'72. And that's part of why I was worried about lugging home a seat from a '73... Were you suggesting buying new replacement tracks? I was hoping to bring the whole assembly from the parts car and bolt it in. Wishful thinking?

PS: I'm new to having a project car. I've got tools but not setup to do any real metal fabrication, like tapping holes for new bolts etc.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Junk yard

Emerson,
I believe you are correct, 68-72 should be generally interchangeable, all 3rd gen. As old bear mentioned, the width is where things get critical, also get the tracks from whatever you buy, you may need them or your old ones, just having both is the best.
Relative to the 73, you might consider stripping anything that is solid off that car and offering it to folks on the site, 4th gen stuff is really hard to find. Things like interior plastic trim, tail gate top stainless (any condition), exterior stainless trims, windows, crank mechanisms, whatever, should have value on this forum.
Good Luck,
bill

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
I think the cab dimensions are the same for 68-72.
However, TMI shows a different seat foam for the 68-70 from the 71-72.
Sometimes there are different locations for wires that set into groves of the foam. This can support a different upholstery pattern. I don't know if this is the reason for the difference.

Was there another A body (Chevelle, Cutlass, LeMans) in the bone yard from about 70-72.
Always check size before pulling, never know if someone replaced it ten years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
Talk to a couple upholstery shops. Go to the local donut style car meet up and talk to the guys for referrals.

I have a wire sticking through my upholstery, just left of the drivers left arm. It is annoying when it pokes into your back. Twice, I have needed to cleaned the blood drops off the vinyl.
Last month, I spoke to a semi retired upholsterer. He saw it and could immediately determine that the install was not correct and a wire had popped a hog ring, and may have broken the wire. He has matching material in his shop. He was even able to tell me the seat as not original and probably from a Buick (confirming what I had come to believe ). I will remove the drivers back seat and take it to him. He will repair it by replacing the panel and use a close to matching stitching style. Then I reinstall the back. It will cost less than the cost of new seat upholstery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts