El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my 87 already has a set of air shocks in it installed by the previous owner i guess but there old and leaking so i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on new replacement air shocks i should get or a better alternative im open to new ideas

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
I put KYB gas shocks along with Air Lift Air Bags on mine, they work get and the ride is great. One other thing, welcome to the site!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just put in Gabriel Guardians from Autozone. It definitely handles better than the air shocks but it seems to have faster rebound. It's definitely less floaty. KYB Gas A Just would probably be better.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I went the KYB Gas A Just and airlift1000 route on mine. The few miles I drove her before I had driveshaft problems were nice on that new setup. A bit tighter than before but not uncomfortably stiff.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you put the performer edelbrock shocks on ive been thinking about getting those

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm just waiting on the next answer since after that trip I took on Saturday, Highway 40 was a little rough. It was great meeting you Greg at the small car show. Michael in Virginia

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
Ditto Michael!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Saving money $32. for the kit

Amazon.com. put Monroe MA789 in the box inter your application and click
cart. If you fill out the credit card application, they will give you $30. off the
$62. kit ( cut card up when it arrives). Nice replacement quality kit.
Installation time........ Geezer,working on back,rusty bolts,lunch break 3 hrs.
Mine were only $22. but they changed the prices since then. Note
Ma789 was my application........ 1984 Elky

·
Registered
283 Posts
Definitely KYB shocks with airlift air bags. Since I was alread undermine anyway, i changed out the rear springs and added a sway bar. night and day difference from the airshocks (gabriel brand) to the kyb shocks and airlift bag system.

Good luck:nanawrench:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought an 83' a few months back and just had the tranny rebuilt so now its time to get the rest of the project going. It came with 20inch IROC's and I am beginning to like them but the rear air shock are shot. Will a good regular shock and bags be good to keep the car slightly lifted off the wheel and do some light towing?

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Senior Member Participating Member
839 Posts
Shocks and Airbags

I used to run KYBs and Airlift bags. Imo the bags dont support as much weight as Airshocks. The bags need to be aired up before the load is appiled which is a pain.:yell:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts