El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chrome trim on the door panels of my '84 El Camino need to be replaced. I've found the chrome tape to replace the original but how do you get all the old stuff off so you've got a good smooth surface to work with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
This is one problem that frustrated me for years, and I may have found a solution. I tried a couple different "chrome tapes" only to find poor adhesion to the rubbery trim strip. I don't know if there are chemicals in that rubber piece or something else, but nothing I tried would remove it.

When I put in Dynamat kits I had some leftover Wenda tape. Not as shiny as the chrome stuff, but I figured it was better than nothing. Well, it sticks and holds.

So my solution was to use one layer of Wenda tape and then put on the chrome tape. Been holding for over 6 months.

I bought 1" wide chrome tape from Amazon which is a perfect width. Just have a steady hand. Any wrinkle in the Wenda tape will show in the chrome tape. You will need to cut the Wenda tape to 1 inch width.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
I'm at the same place with my 85. I had good luck removing the old with a razor knife and sharp fingernails finished off with fine grit sandpaper. I was going to look for some chrome carbon fiber. Anyone have experience installing carbon fiber on the small plastic strips?
 

·
Senior Member Site Supporter
Joined
·
340 Posts
Wife and I just removed all the shiny stuff, left the grey there. And it looks real good. But as a daily driver she's happy and if mamas happy leaver right there.:hail2:
 

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
Joined
·
1,571 Posts
I redid mine with some chrome tape I got from a local vendor who does striping & graphics for the local car dealers.
Careful prep work is the key. After removing the upper panels, I cleaned the old failing chrome to remove any residual vinyl dressings, then folded up a small pad of 220 sandpaper to dislodge any loose pieces, feather any edges and provide a good surface for the new material to bond. One more cleaning wipe with alcohol removed any remaining contaminants and sanding residual. The material I had was wider than the existing moldings, so I carefully laid the new self adhesive tape on the upper edge of the molding, pulling it tight enough to not have any bubbles or wrinkles, but not to stretch the tape, only to have it shrink it up later.
The corner had to be carefully miter cut with a sharp Xacto blade. Once I was satisfied with the look, I used a thin but soft rag to press everything down securely, then carefully trimmed the lower edge where it overlapped on the vinyl, cutting through the foil, but not into the vinyl. Reinstall the upper panel and admire your handiwork.
Don't have a picture, since I'm at work, but it's still looking good after 10 years.

Bill
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top