El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stepdad and I decided to make his stepdad's old 1978 El Camino our project car. We've had it sitting in a corner of our property for about 10 years now, so we've got alot of work to be done. There's quite alot of damage on the front end, aside from the bumper, and we're looking to get it replaced with the original stock front end. The driver's side headlight and the surrounding area is in terrible condition, as I think my stepdad might have hit it with a tractor. We've looked online for replacements, but Honest Charley's and Lauren Engineering's prices are just too high. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Btw, I've been visiting this site for the past couple of months for information, and I've learned alot from here. Glad I can be a part of it now. :You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Welcome to the site! Great project!

I havent had any luck from salvage yards but i hear you can get real good deals off of parts! The ones i go to got my parts but are too expensive!

If you cant find an origional front end, there is always alternatives. Someone slapped a 82/83 malibu front end on my 84 and looks normal and flush but has a different hood ornament.
Good luck:beer:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
i have a header panel for a 81 and up,,if it will help,, i know shipping would be some $$ but i will make you a fair deal on it if needed,,, no lights or trim just the front panel,, how does $50 sound plus shipping from75792 :beer:good luck with your new toy

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,864 Posts
Welcome from Florida !! :florida:

If you have a upullit parts place you can find them out there ! Look for a 78 or 79 !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! I've been planning on taking a trip to the local Pick N Pull, but was really doubtful about finding an El Camino/Malibu there. We were hoping to get one for a reasonable price, but parts for classic cars aren't easy to come by. Also, you ever convince your dad to get you that Carb? :laugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@woody31
Hey, I talked to my stepdad about your offer, and we're interested! Would you happen to have an idea on the price of shipping?
I tried sending you a Private Message, but my post count isn't high enough

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,864 Posts
Forgot to tell you that you can put on a 82-87 (4 headlightts) header panel on it & just add the front end headlight harness to yours ! If you like the look of the four headlights compared to the 2 headlights !

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
78 i have no idea what it would cost its big n heavy so most likely it will have to go on a bus,,, not sure on cost,, i will weigh it and check around if it will help,,,,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@woody31 Alright, sounds good! With the weight, I could check the approximate price on the usps website.
@87next2last1 Is that right? I feel like that would look really nice! I'll look into it later on after I get it in legal, driveable condition. haha
@84elcoconquista I guess you could say that. haha I usually frequent the Audio and Engine forums. I've got 2 12" subs that I wanted to install until I found out how hard it was to have a system in a car/truck with less space than a VW Bug. hahaha

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wish you were close. I probable have all the parts you need. I am rebuilding my 85 el camino. I putting the choo choo front end and fiberglass rear bumper. Changeing the 60/ 40 seat to buckets and many more . It not El Camino when I finish it. It to expense to ship :You_Rock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@railcatcar I could probably use most of your old parts, too! Time and lack of maintenance has really taken its toll on her. I found out that the hood latch bolted to the frame was completely rusted, so I spent an hour unbolting it just to get the hood open. Off topic, but would anyone know where to get one? Is it year specific, or could I get a matching one from any 5th Gen?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
There is a man in CA that sell lot of 5 gen parts on ebay. I cann't think of his name right now. I do know it starts with a R. Maybe some one here knows his name. His prices or good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know where you live, but I was up at the Fairfield Pick 'n Pull about 2-3 weeks ago and happened upon 2 5th gen elky's front ends looked good, at least they both seemed in tact. Didn't really scope them out, bein a 4th gener an'all. :nanawrench:

Just throwin that out there, good luck my man. And if there's anything I can help with just let me know.

-Ian

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
brent that would be better if you can make it to the yard described in the previous post that way you can get all the misc. parts also..i.e. the lenses, wiring harness, hood latch ect,ect, i would gladly sell you the one i have , however it is money well spent if you could go up there on a weekend and make a day of gathering for your truck. im here to help, keep us informed,:beer:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll probably venture out to some pickNpulls around here. If that doesn't work, I"ll try to get a hold of Rick. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
complete 78 header panel(headlights,markers,grill and all mounting hardware.)GREAT cond,325.00 shipped through greyhound.you can pick it up downtown(alameda,across from olvera st)unless you are not in SOUTHERN cal?then id just need the closest depot near you.pm me if interested.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts