El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I need a little help. I need to replace the switch that controls the high/low blower motor operation for my heater/defroster in my 1974 el camino (non a/c). Anyone know the easiest way to get to the switch? I'm scared I'm going to have to remove most of the dash or something to get to it. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks for all your help and time. Have a great Monday everyone!

Bob

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Just remove the Dash face. 5 screws in the top, four surrounding the steering wheel, one on either side at the corners (bottom face) I think that just about cover it. Tilt the wheel all the way down and put the truck in Low or first gear of you have a column shift. Slide carefully slide the face off being careful on the left side to clear the light knob and washer knob.

Once you have that done there are three screws holding the AC/Heat switch in place one in the top middle and two on the bottom, If I remember correctly. Remove those and slide the controller out. Replace switch and re-assemble.

Hope this helped. It has been a while since I did it last.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wait!!!

are you sure its the switch, if you are having trouble with the high speed setting on the blower fan, it is most likely a high speed reay under your hood. no point ripping apart your interior for no reason.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed it

I fixed it the easy way. I sold the camino. I bought it for 1600 and got an offer of 3500 a month later. So who would say no? I had to do it. Now I have a 74 k5 blazer full convertible and the heater works just fine!

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts