El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compressor grenaded in my a/c system. I have an '85 and i was wondering what i needed to get the system back up and running again. Anything will help!

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Hello!
Well Guy.....when you say "grenaded" that is a bad thing if you mean that pieces of your compressor are now in your system. Basically what you are going to have to do is to flush out the parts that don't have filters, screens, or dessicant in them. So....you can buy an A/C flush at the parts store or you can use.....and this is what I have used in the past...alcohol. You will need to remove the compressor from the lines and remove the orfice tube and the accumulator. You can isolate the major components like the Condenser.....the Evaporator.....and your lines. Flush out each segment and then cap them off. You will then need to buy a new orfice tube.....Accumulator....and compressor. Initially you are trying to get the parts as clean as when they were new so get all the oil/debris out of each segment. Now install new O rings (wipe with system oil when installing) and put in your orfice tube and Accumulator and Compressor. I assume that you or someone who likes you knows about putting a vacuum on the system for a period of time once it's all hooked up. What you are trying to do here is 2 things: 1- you are lowering the boiling point of any water/alcohol in the sealed system so that it will boil into vapor and be sucked out of the system leaving it very dry.....and 2- you will leave a vacuum on the system to test for any leakage before you introduce your refrigerant. I have vacuumed for up to 1 hour and left it in vacuum state over night but others will give you less paranoid advice...LOL. At this point, either you know what to do to introduce refrigerant or someone who likes you will know what to do. Make sure that you have used an oil that is compatable with your system needs and that you put the amount of oil and refrigerant that the manual advises. Others with better advice will be along shortly....and they can help tell you where to get your supplies if needed. Good Luck!
Craig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts