El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi; I'm planing to buy some parts for my Elky and I have been looking at prices. Reproduction parts are way less expensive but I'm wondering how good those parts are; like door weather stripping, lens and housing, grills, headlight bezels. Also fiberglass bumpers and roll pan on e-bay are less expensive than in catalogue. Anybody with good or bad reviews? What is a good place or website to buy ground effects?
Thanks.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Well mine's a 78 so parts are a bit different. But bought a set of GM reproduction taillights at close to $200. They melted after about 2 years. Still using 1157 bulbs so not really sure why. I suspected the exhaust but the lamps are cool during the day and only hot when the lights are on. Anyway bought another set.
Bought an aftermarket grille about 5 years ago. Still looks new. Recently bought reproduction front side marker lamps from Mexico. Slightly smaller and not quite as clear as NOS but for $35 a pair an excellent value and look great on a daily driver.
No experience with reproduction weatherstri[p on my elky but on my caddy I found each company to have pros and cons. Some were thicker, some thinner, some fit on one side perfectly and not so good on the other. Eventually found NOS.

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hi; I'm planing to buy some parts for my Elky and I have been looking at prices. Reproduction parts are way less expensive but I'm wondering how good those parts are; like door weather stripping, lens and housing, grills, headlight bezels. Also fiberglass bumpers and roll pan on e-bay are less expensive than in catalogue. Anybody with good or bad reviews? What is a good place or website to buy ground effects?
Thanks.
I bought my roll pan and tucked fiberglass front bumper off ebay. Like all fiberglass parts my bodyman had to massage them to fit good. They are solid pieces.
belky1.png

belky3.png

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,044 Posts
different year but I bought reproduction rear bumper and tailgate trim from OPGI, fit and finish were perfect.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Door seals

I'm sorry to say that with my personal experience and what I've heard from everyone else, NO COMPANY makes a perfect door/window seal. I dont know why they cant get them right. :let_it_all_out:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I bought "Softseal" door gaskets and they were perfect. I bought the window weather strips from The El Camino Store and am sorry I did because the fit is poor and they really don't seal well at all. I looked long and hard for NOS grill and bed rails. My patience paid off as I found perfect pieces in original packing. The repro sellers are all selling chinese stuff. I prefer oem stuff. Somtimes you have to settle for the knockoffs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wel,l I will need to try "Softseal". I installed SoffSeal in a '88 Firebird and half the lower fasteners did'nt line up and the seal never quick compressed to let the door close easily. I hope they are better now. :???:

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I spoke to the guys at the glass shop in the center my shops in. He told me that it's best to do the seals on a warm day so the rubber is more flexible. And you need to have the window adjusted properly and closed tight after the installation to let the rubber kind of form to the glass and seal. Inside a 5th gen door there are guides that pull the glass inwards. Mine were worn out. The same glass shop pointed that out when they tinted my windows. If yours are worn like mine the window will never seal well with any brand of seal. :beer:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just FYI, I purchased glass bumpers off E-bay, and I found them to be satisfactory. Also, had a couple of friends who did so, and I installed their stuff. They were, again, satisfactory. One of them bought the rear bumper with ZR1 taillites from the El Camino store. I thought that particular bumper was better quality/heavier than the E-bay items, but all in all, they all get destroyed if hit. :dontknow:

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,676 Posts
For parts, price and shipping "NPD" for the seals and bumpers take your chance with the above or NPD use same. NOTE stay away from EL Camino Store or read the archives.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
I spoke to the guys at the glass shop in the center my shops in. He told me that it's best to do the seals on a warm day so the rubber is more flexible. And you need to have the window adjusted properly and closed tight after the installation to let the rubber kind of form to the glass and seal. Inside a 5th gen door there are guides that pull the glass inwards. Mine were worn out. The same glass shop pointed that out when they tinted my windows. If yours are worn like mine the window will never seal well with any brand of seal. :beer:
I visited a local glass shop and asked if they did window seals and they said they don't do that type of work. Go figure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
authentic choo choo ground effects

Hi.does anyone know if one brand of ground effects is "more accurate" than another? Might Honest Charley's be the closest to the original? I see they are about $100 more than some others. Lauren claims to be the orignator, but it seems Charley is closer related to Choo Choo.
thx.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
It seems that the Honest Charlie place acquired the Choo Choo trade name (?)
Anyone here ever seen an old original Honest Charlie catalog ? They were cool ! He drew up the catalog mostly by hand, then had them printed.....wish I would have saved a couple from when I bought stuff there in the 60s...
The A&M Soffseal outfit has been around for decades, but maybe they get stuff from off-shore sources too. (?) Haven't used their stuff for years. It was good back when I used it.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts

http://www.elcaminostore.com/el-camino-door-glass-guide-1978-1987.html

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
Classic Industries 20% off thru July 17th. CODE at checkout SMR12
Might help someone wanting to buy interior or trim stuff.

Year One 20% off thru July 15th CODE JULSP

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I bought my rear roll pan with no lights, and CCC style hood scoop from Laurens. I used there on-line catalog. Good quality and easy install. No problems X6 years. I bought the CCC fiberglass replacement nose and side exhaust shields from Honest Charley. The nose took 2 days to install in my driveway using hand tools. Exhaust shields took about 30 minutes. Again, easy install, good quality and no problems. Aero kits( 5 pieces) from Laurens and exhaust shields( 2 pieces) from HC are two different items, don't shop by price, examine each carefully. I replaced a door handle( when I had them) with a unit from the EC store(made in Tiawan). It lasted about 3 months. I bought a GM replacement (3X cost) from Summit, it last over 3 years. Quality vs cost.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts