El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time for me, and at first it kinda threw me off gaurd, but i had some strangers checking out my elkie at the gas station when i was pumping gas. they even stopped to ask me if they could take a pic of it. it made my day, i got out of the car and stepped back and let my new friends pose and take a couple glamour shot pics of my car.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
It's strange isn't it? Happens to me with my 73 caddy too. I notice it mostly at night when you see the flash.
One morning on my way to the shop on a the 2 lane parkway that leads there I felt that the car to my left wasn't really moving along at a normal speed but rather trying to stay with me. When I looked over this girl was videoing (is that a word?) my elky as we drove along side-by-side at 45 mph. Kinda strange but I liked it!:nanawrench:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, its pretty odd at first. its a trip just how much attention elkies get when theyre don up a little. theres a few clean factory restored ones here where i live but they dont seem to get the same attention. when theres car shows in town ill cruise through, or park and check em out and i seem to turn alot of heads. maybe its just the loud exhaust and gear cam drive.

ive seen people lookin at it in parkinglots and taking pics, but not for someone to wait for me and ask for pics.
it always makes my day when people ask me about it and wanna see under the hood, or the look i get when i tell them its a nitrous car. :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
When I'm in my T, I have people asking all the time if they can look at it or take pictures of it. I let them sit in it, if they want to, and take the photo of them. I tell them if I didn't want people looking at my car, I'd drive a Lumina.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Get used to it. When you get to my level of modifications, I've even had a new mercedes stop 5 cars ahead of me in heavy traffic, step out & walk back to me for a pic while traffic's starting to move again.:dontknow:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
yep it makes it all worth while when they tell you it sounds good
lumpy to rough for pictures ol truck motor might quit with the thought of a flash bulb :beer:

·
0 Posts
It's normal but the best part when people shoot vids is when you punch it away from em. It shows em you can poop and scoot!:fluffy:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the thumbs up in traffic, kids in the backseat of their parents car staring and pointing, heads turning in traffic and by pedestrians, all that stuff makes my day.

in parking lots its fun idling around and little kids getting so excited looking at the car. i felt bad once, i idled past this little girl, she had to be 5 at the most and the rumble from my car kinda scared her, she ran u[p next to her dad and grabbed for his hand. but he just smiled and told her what my car was. little kids pointing and trying to get their parents to look. its good stuff with little kids. almost more of a kick than with adults.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
It has taken me up to an hour before on a 15 to 20 minute round trip to get take out food or other short trips during daylight. The wife wonders what takes he so long. Even have got the occasional stalkers.. Kinda lets you know what it might be like for famous people, they have to try to always be nice to their fans.
At night the black paint is a little more stealthy.:secret:
Even not so nice elco's get complimentary shoutouts .
GET USED TO IT.:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Had a cop pull me over and thought I was getting a ticket for sure. He said he saw me pass another car and said he had to see what was under my hood to move like that. :nanawrench:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Almost every time I'm in or getting out of my truck I'm asked what year or how much for it. I have had an under cover cop pull over while I was getting out and two police officers stop and scared the crap out of me then said nice truck. I have an alley to get to the back of the house and pulling out to the street I have been pulled over for no reason three times and let go when they see my address. I'm getting use to it as a daily thing now but I try to answer any questions they ask.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
My son and I were driving thru the Little League parking lot the other day and I heard a guy tell his son " That's an El Camino, you don't see many of those anymore". He's right. You don't see them until you buy one and then they are everywhere. The town I live in has a population of 5200, I lived here for 8 years before I bought my Elky and had never seen one in town. As soon as I bought mine, I saw four the next week. I have gotten to know the owners of most of the Elkies and there are 12 in my little town. Go figger. None of them are members here yet. Still working on that.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
yep it makes it all worth while when they tell you it sounds good
lumpy to rough for pictures ol truck motor might quit with the thought of a flash bulb :beer:
..Might blind the ole dog..:poke:
:beer:

·
Registered
559 Posts
I saw 3 teenagers looking at my car a few weeks ago from my office window about 500 feet away from my car and upstairs. It looked after a minute like they were trying to break into it. I was about to run down and call the cops then realized each of them were posing for a picture with the car doing hand signals in each photo. Everyone at work couldn't stop laughing when they realized what they were doing it was hilarious.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there hasent been a crowd ive driven by that atleast half the people in it, man or woman, doesent turn heads. its good stuff. it definitley draws attention, sometimes from the wrong people.

the other day i saw a car wreck, it happened right in front of me, the car swerved to avoid hitting another one that just stopped in the lane on front of him and he ended up sideways, over a curb and almost rolling it over.... i stopped to make sure he was okay and waited for the cops to show up to fill out a whitness statement, and they were all smiles, and attaboys untill they asked what i was driving.
when i pointed out my car it went to immediatly accusing me of drag racing. it really upset me, but, for once, i wasent doin anything wrong. long story short, elkies a little hopped up do get attention from everyone.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Mr. Blanche, my first car was a 91 Lumina! :poke:
The other weekend, I went on a cruise and was way out of my league, with Ferraris, Lotuses and Porsches, (and even a Tesla Roadster) but I got the most thumbs up and compliments out of the 10 or so cars in the cruise.

Because a 72 Elky ROCKS!!! :beer:

·
0 Posts
Had a cop pull me over and thought I was getting a ticket for sure. He said he saw me pass another car and said he had to see what was under my hood to move like that. :nanawrench:
Almost every time I'm in or getting out of my truck I'm asked what year or how much for it. I have had an under cover cop pull over while I was getting out and two police officers stop and scared the crap out of me then said nice truck. I have an alley to get to the back of the house and pulling out to the street I have been pulled over for no reason three times and let go when they see my address. I'm getting use to it as a daily thing now but I try to answer any questions they ask.:nanawrench:
I got pulled over coming from Belton when I was about 4 blocks from my house at 12:45am. The cop didn't ask for ID,insurance,or where I was going. All he asked was what I had under the hood because it sounded so good. I told him and he flashed his light on the window where the track numbers were.
Then one of his backup buddies shows up and looks at the gauges and says "I don't see these beefed up often".
He let me go but he pulled a donut in the middle of the road in front of me. It was a really awkward night. I wish I recorded it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Last night me and the gf were cruisin around and stopped at Sonic. there was this little fammily with little boy that could have only been 2 or 3, maybe 4. we had been there longer but as soon as the family got out of their car to eat at a table the little boy was pointing, and lookin, my elkie was all he seemed to be concerned about.

after we finished eating and i started my car to leave, the little boy jerked his head our way and was starin and pointin again.

so now this part i had to do, just to make this kids night, after i backed out of my spot and started forward i gave it just enough throttle to make a little noise and squeal the tires on the cement a little.

This little boys eyes lit up and he was all happy.

i like the reactions i get from people, but none make me smile as much as when little kids love my car. it just makes my day to make theirs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts