El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new here!
I've got a relatively stock 84 SS and I am trying to do some modifications. Nothing major, but stuff like exhaust, a shifter, etc.
I was just wondering what it would take to install a ratchet shifter. Do I need a manual valve body? I don't know too much about trannys, so I figure I might get some help here.

Also, does anyone know what wheel sizes (b/s and diameter) work on the G-Bodies? I just installed BellTech dropped spindles and the front wheels and tires rub a bit. I currently have the stock rims and 225/60 R14's. If anyone can help, I would much appreciate it!

Thanks,
-Kris Horton

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The Billet Wheels I have on my 80 Elky have a 4.5" backspacing and a +.25" offset. They are 16" wheels (GT93s) and mounted on them are BFG G-Force KD Radials P245 50 ZR16s.

Does that help?

I'd say that a 4.5 to 5" backspacing is necessary for a tire that has any real width to them. As far as Height, stock body and springs, you have about 29" to play with. Subtract the amount of drop you put on and you should be really close.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have a B&M Megashifter in my 83 Elky and it was an easy hook=up to my 350 trans. I then converted to a 700R4 and it was an easy hook=up there too. The megashifter comes with easy to follow instructions. I would suggest you go down to your speed shop and take a look at there shifters and directions and you will find that it is an easy add on. More fun to drive that way too. No more missed shifts. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that. My only concern was the manual valvebody. I really want to be able to use a ratchet shifter in my car.
-Kris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts