El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1971 SS 454, M22 El Camino - Well FINALLY after 14 Years I finally declared my project done. It started life as a SS bought @ Ricardson Chevrolet in Houston Texas. I bought it in 2005 and in December 2006 started body off resto. after losing my daughter the project stopped for 5 yrs. then I realized the best therapy was working on it. so for next 9 yrs I kept at it between surgeries (8) rough life! anyway it is finished now. The El Camino is 95 % stock except for paint, exhaust, ac compressor and one secret item that someone will have to find. Most of all I want to thank all those members of this site who contributed so much in helping me finish this project. I could not have done it w/o you ! I have added some pics for all to enjoy because your input is in this vehicle somewhere, Thank you All
Tony G

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Very nice.
The bottom of that vehicle is spectacular.

Is there something different at the Smugglers box?

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,608 Posts
Love it👍👍👍👍

·
Registered
115 Posts
Spectacular, awesome, fantastic, what more can I say. I love it.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot a couple of pictures, other non stock items, smugglers box (now operational) and rear wall of interior also now usefull, thanks for compliments and hope you like what I,ve done.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Very well done! Your attention to detail is awesome!
You should be extremely proud.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love that color. It just fits so perfectly on that car. She looks So worthy of every drop of blood, sweat and tears you put into her. She truly is Beautiful.

Thank you for letting me see her.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
the perfect mix of an old car with all the modern tweaks, but, a fantastic attention to detail in the painting of body parts! (hood springs, gas tank straps, transmission, under-carriage)

"The El Camino is 95 % stock except for paint, exhaust, ac compressor and one secret item that someone will have to find."

man, check out the shiny exhaust pipes with the electric cut-outs and x-over! I see a different tranny bell-housing in the picture and I see an up/down switch on the wall behind the driver for the smugglers box. Check out the gorgeous matching toolbox in the smugglers box! Looks like a 12bolt Dana rear but not sure. Then there's the original style Delco battery. I don't think I've ever seen a better executed resto-mod like this one!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
since you didn't pop the air cleaner off, I also couldn't tell whether that was a carb or EFI unit the hard fuel line was plugged into

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First thank You all for the great responses to my restoration. My only problem building it this way is cleaning undercarriage, thank god I have a lift in shop.
some other details brought up after investigation of Elky.
Carb is 770 street avenger w/ factory LS 6 fuel line on top of Winters Low rise LS 6 manifold, the exhuast is 304 stainless from PYPES, Rear Tips are ORIGINAL GM units w/ numbers, dumps are from Summit Racing, All polished by mothers and right arm, Headers are JET HOT coated and can be polished and really reduce heat in engine bay. I have factory Chevelle rear sway bar, Lower control arms welded shut,Orgn 12 bolt, trans is not painted but coated w/ SHARK HIDE as is every Nut & Bolt in vehicle. I hand polished everyone in 8" twin buffer wheels and then coated everyone w/ Shark Hide. polishing bolts was held by vise grips w/ electrical tape across grooves.Clear paint does not last. Some of these bolts were polished years ago and never changed in appearance. Rear smugglers box was converted and I gave a detailed account of how to in this forum some months ago as I did w/ rear interior wall (done w/2 door panels. Stainless window mdlgs, grill and long sides of bed are all orgn from this vehicle and have been polished. The SS grill mldgs have GM part # stampings on ea. pc last I do have built sheet and was found on top of gas tank.
If anyone has questions or needs help I would be glad to help or direct them to who did help.
It seems a lot of people responding have helped me get thru this restoration and I am willing to pay it forward.
Thanks Again for Kind words.
Tony G

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,609 Posts
First thank You all for the great responses to my restoration. My only problem building it this way is cleaning undercarriage, thank god I have a lift in shop.
some other details brought up after investigation of Elky.
Carb is 770 street avenger w/ factory LS 6 fuel line on top of Winters Low rise LS 6 manifold, the exhuast is 304 stainless from PYPES, Rear Tips are ORIGINAL GM units w/ numbers, dumps are from Summit Racing, All polished by mothers and right arm, Headers are JET HOT coated and can be polished and really reduce heat in engine bay. I have factory Chevelle rear sway bar, Lower control arms welded shut,Orgn 12 bolt, trans is not painted but coated w/ SHARK HIDE as is every Nut & Bolt in vehicle. I hand polished everyone in 8" twin buffer wheels and then coated everyone w/ Shark Hide. polishing bolts was held by vise grips w/ electrical tape across grooves.Clear paint does not last. Some of these bolts were polished years ago and never changed in appearance. Rear smugglers box was converted and I gave a detailed account of how to in this forum some months ago as I did w/ rear interior wall (done w/2 door panels. Stainless window mdlgs, grill and long sides of bed are all orgn from this vehicle and have been polished. The SS grill mldgs have GM part # stampings on ea. pc last I do have built sheet and was found on top of gas tank.
If anyone has questions or needs help I would be glad to help or direct them to who did help.
It seems a lot of people responding have helped me get thru this restoration and I am willing to pay it forward.
Thanks Again for Kind words.
Tony G
Tony , Let me join the long list of previous compliments and others that you will most certainly receive in the future . It looks as good as any high end / big dollar build I have seen ! Sorry for the loss of your loving daughter and the hardships you have experienced . Glad to see that you understand to live your life the way your family and friends would wish for you and your ride pays respect to them . I am envious of your talents . Enjoy turning that ignition key :cool:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,540 Posts
Your perseverance paid off! Amazing attention to detail.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts