El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to restore my rally wheels and all i need is 4 centers. Some prices I've seen for new ones are about $129 and that is the price of some rims i also like. Question 1: where is the best place to find these centers (other than a junkyard; been there). Or, anyone have 2-4 that they would like to sell? Question 2: should i just buy some new rims that also look good?

link to rally wheel incase you you don't know what they look like :)
Rally Wheels

·
1,867 Posts
If I where you I would find some nice aftermarket wheels that you liked. I bet those ralleys are hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Are the centers all you need? Does the rest of your wheels look like that picture? If so, I would keep looking for the centers to match, maybe on E-Bay?? Do you have any pics of your Elky and wheels?

I've seen some of the chrome parts for those rally's before on E-Bay, but they were very pricey and were few and far between.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To answer the above 2 questions:
I want to keep the ralley wheels partly because they are quite rare.
And yes all i need is the center everything else is retored. I'll try and post some pics l8r in the week. I'm getting it painted Firemist Gold metalic!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Restore Rally Wheels??

Those caps do come along on Ebay occasionally. Use 'rally wheels' as a search topic. I think they may be available from Mike's Montes (www.mikesmontes.com) as well. National Parts Depot supposedly has them $108.95 each part C-5858-110. Original Parts Group also has cap, less insert. Those rims also appear on Ebay, but more often show up with Oldsmobile trim.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Repo's of these caps show up on ebay constantly. I bought a set of four about 6 months ago for $42. I just searched for closed auctions on these, and the range is usually $35 to $55. (One set did go for $100.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rally Wheels

Rare? I guess I'm lucky the guy who had my '87 before me pulled the rims and caps off and held on to them when he put on the American Racing painted mags. Sad thing is, after 7 years the paint has been coming off the center spokes and leaving nothing but rough-looking aluminum. Personally, I'd like to put on a set of 'Vette/Monte Carlo/Chevelle 15" Rallys from the '70s with the oval slots and ribbed/dished center caps.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i use those rims for winter wheels, and i got some knock off caps from jcwhitney for real cheap like 40bucks if i remember right. the only thing is you would need to use the little chevy logo thing over, as these had some other design on them.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
80elcamino said:
To answer the above 2 questions:
I want to keep the ralley wheels partly because they are quite rare.
And yes all i need is the center everything else is retored. I'll try and post some pics l8r in the week. I'm getting it painted Firemist Gold metalic!!!
I have 4 of those wheels off of my 80 I "threw away" they were bare wheels. Not too rare. I have a set on the 72 also, a little different but not so much you could tell. Have you tried JC Whitney?

Chevrolet El Camino w/15x7 or 15x8 steel rally wheels (chromed) Wheel Center Caps
Reg. Price $71.99 Set 81ZX4196U $43.39

Chevrolet El Camino w/15x7 or 15x8 steel rally wheels (chromed) Wheel Center Caps (emblems not included) Set 07ZX7446A $71.99

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?PID=761058&productId=1263&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&AID=1157440&storeId=10101

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah:( i tried them but weren't sure which one i needed.
I think G are the correct ones

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
About two years ago, I purchased two new ones from Hubcap Annie for $24.00 plus tax. He had them in stock. They were plastic, but all I have ever seen were plastic.

The plastic fingers on the underside of the center piece that holds the center piece on the wheel break off because the steel wheel clips get bent outwards during tire changing operations. This results in too much pressure on the plastic fingers which results in breakage. If you do not bend the metal wheel clips back inwards a little, the plastic fingers in the center will break again and the unit will end up beside the road. A little trial and error will teach you just how much to bend the clips so the centers fit properly. Adjust them until they do not rattle on the whee.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You may want to check out Bernie's post listed under Garage Sales...

·
1,867 Posts
If they are the same as the earier s10 wheels, then I would have a few of them. I'll look.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
I also have two or three extra center caps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts