El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum, so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong category. I am going to buy a 69 el camino for a restoration project, and I'm fairly novice when it comes to cars. I want the Elky to get pretty decent gas mileage when I'm done because I'll be driving it quite a bit. My question is which parts do I change out under the hood to achieve better mileage?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Or where do I start in the restoration?

It really depends what you are looking at money/time wise, what you want the finished product to be and what shape its in now.

Post a few pics when you can and we can help you spend lots of money. (or spend a little wisely)

Welcome aboard.:smile:

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
Welcome to the site! X2 on what you want the ride to look like, money and time frame. Get the drive train the way you want it running first then I would work on the body then the interior. As for your drive train what kind of power do you want, if it's going to be a daily drive you really don't want to go to far over board or you're gas mileage will suck. Depending on your wallet, go with a LS motor, great power, and with the right tranny good mileage. Brake up grades also, you don't want something that can haul butt and can't stop!!
Just my 2 cents... Good luck with your project !

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome and nice choice on year! I wanted to go the LS route but after the quote (about $9k including motor/trans install) I got from the local Hot Rod shop I ordered the crate motor. Cutting the transmission tunnel, whole different fuel system, oil pan, it added up quick.. and that was for the cheaper 5.3 truck motor and 4l60e. Unless you are able to pull the swap off yourself to save on labor.

Small block crate, maybe .30 over.. not sure if you can swap the 700r4 w/ovedrive in without cutting the tunnel.. keeping the carb cfm reasonable, and some 3.55's on the rear end could be a decent combo, if you keep your foot out of it :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys! I've been looking around the area, and it seems like a 69 will be a tough pic, unless I befriend a nice old lady who just so happens to have one in her garage.
I found an Elky on craigslist and it seems to be a good project car. Here's the link to it. If you guys could check it out to see if I'm biting off more than I can chew, or if the price is right. I emailed her asking if it came with the motor or not.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/4033930251.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts