El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to restore a 5th gen steering wheel? Mine is pretty beat up, but finding another Caballero/GMC wheel is very, very, very hard, and I'd rather not change the wheel to an aftermarket type or NOS Chevy/Olds/Buick, just because I'm rather partial to the OEM GMC wheel.

Jeri~

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both but the horn center's the most irreparable, the plastic viens that run through it are all broken and the acrylic over the GMC logo is cracked with spider viens very badly.
The wheel itself could use a very, very good cleaning and be acceptable yet.

Jeri~

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to restore a 5th gen steering wheel? Mine is pretty beat up, but finding another Caballero/GMC wheel is very, very, very hard, and I'd rather not change the wheel to an aftermarket type or NOS Chevy/Olds/Buick, just because I'm rather partial to the OEM GMC wheel.

Jeri~

Is the wheel made out of some sort hard rubber or plastic or is it wrapped? If it is hard plastic or rubber, you can restore it easily with a Dremel type tool and epoxy. I've done it and it couldn't be much easier.

Here is a video showing how it is done. I used their technique, but not their product.

Copper

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I've been hoping to pick up a Caballero project that a fellow in town has here and is doing nothing with...I've been collecting GMC trim parts for it and May have an extra horn center here. Here's a pic of one of them taken quite awhile back before I packed and put all the trim parts away...not sure if they changed much over the different years or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Both but the horn center's the most irreparable, the plastic viens that run through it are all broken and the acrylic over the GMC logo is cracked with spider viens very badly.
The wheel itself could use a very, very good cleaning and be acceptable yet.

Jeri~

Have been removing the shift lever from my column, and filling the hole, and discovered this.......

Using a small screwdriver, you can (gently!) dig under the edge of that emblem in the center of the horn pad, and it will come right out if you work around the edge of it.

Then, you can put something the same diameter back in there, like maybe an SS emblem, if you can find one that size; or any other emblem you like. (it's almost the exact same size as a 50 cent piece!)

For mine, I have cut out a piece of polished Stainless Steel to the correct size, and will have a jeweler I know engrave a design on it for me.

Of course, everything on my elkie is stock, but you could cusomize it too if ya wanted, I guess.

:dontknow: :secret:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I just put a 4 spoke 78 Camaro steering wheel in my 78. I think it looks much better than the elky /malibu wheel it had. It also has a bowtie emblem. What about a GMC Jimmy steering wheel? Look up some on ebay and get some ideas. You could always change back.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Steering wheel

the four spokes were also used on the 76 Vegas and vettes. Check GMCLASSICPARTS.COM for stock steering wheels.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I could actually get the 4 spoke wheel from down home, my brother had one for his 85 Monte, but I'm not a big fan of that style, if anything I'd step back to something more like
the gen 2 style wheel I always liked.

Thanks for all the tips so far gang! I'm always mining eBay/Craigslist for gold :inlove:

O.D, that emblem is the same style as mine, I don't know if they changed much either. There was a brown one too

which I think I have. I don't know if they had any other colors.

Jeri~

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I do have to agree with Bobby...the 4 spoke wheel is a really good look...

I'll be putting a gray one in my 79 when I do the interior color change

that 4 spoke wheel is the one I was talking about changing the center button on.

:beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts