El Camino Central Forum banner

reverse light adjustments

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  JJLT1 
#1 ·
My 71 has a few bugs in it since completion of restoration. one I have a 454 w/ m22 and factory 4 spd column (restored) and all original wiring(new). I have correct rods and bracket for reverse extra rod to connect to column. when I first put everything together I had reverse lights in reverse. Now after a few rides I have reverse lights in forward gears. I tried adjusting rod til lights come on but loose the reverse lock and will not start and can,t get keys out. move rod or column back up and now I have all features except light while in reverse. I see electrical switch on bottom of column under dash has adjustment ability to it. so i tried but ended up w/ same problems. what am I missing w/ adjustments? I had it right once. Glad to be back.
tony

#5 ·
Man I,ve adjusted this lingage til I am blue in face. On lift I got it to stop lights from coming on in neutral and all gears. took it for a ride today and when I left wife said reverse lights were on the whole time. This little stuff is driving me crazy. If it ain't constant clutch adjustments ,its the taiwan tower hose clamps failing (2 -200miles) bolts loosening up,hood adjustments,ARGUIIIIIIIII.
Tony

#7 ·
Well after hours of messing around w/ reverse column rod adjustments and reverse light switch adjustments I have come to one conclusion! something has to be wrong w/ switch under dash on column. the bottom line is no matter how I adjust rod I cannot get reverse lights in reverse. they work fine once out of reverse and thru forward gears and only GO OFF IN REVERSE.
Once rod and lever under hood is all the way up and no slack in rod I get LOCK OUT- meaning column locks in reverse, key able to come out and starts in reverse but no reverse lights, when I adjust rod under hood until reverse lights come on I cannot get key out, lock column or start engine. No matter how I adjust switch on column under dash it has no effect. so I am gonna order a new switch from AAW- American Autowire. If anyone has any ideas that I may have missed shout them out. You know its funny when I started elky for first time I had reverse lights IN REVERSE. Its never been the same since along w/ all the other BS, nitpickin little problems that Are driving me nuttier.
Its Beer oclock
Tony

#9 ·
I think I found out the problem and solution. I was right the switch mounted to column was the problem and was for a 74-77 chevy Turbo auto car. The switch had two connections ,the 1st neutral safety part and second reverse lights. The reason my reverse lights were not working right was because they were on right side of switch and would not engage until reverse rod rotated to that position. I ordered the proper 4 spd light switch for column which only has the connection f/ reverse lights on left side. So when shifter is in reverse column lever will be rotated under connection for light. The neutral safety switch is separate on 4 spd factory cars by being mounted to the clutch lever assembly under dash similar to brake switch. The reverse light plug wires are pink & green and the neutral safety switch has two purple wires. Had I not been in a hurry when I was plugging in all new wires looms I may have caught this but as I was not aware or ignorant in my old age I didn't even thing about it until I had a problem. I do believe the two new switches and relocation of neutral safety switch will solve all my problems. I purchased both switches from American Auto wire for $50 EACH, not a cheap resolvement but needed. I probably could have bought some cheap taiwan switches f/ O'reilly's but did not want to chance that.
Hope someone learns from my mistakes.
Have a good day and thanks to all those who made suggestions.
Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.