El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read meany posts about the reverse lights not working right and it's all mostly about the switch on the steering column.

1 Does anyone have any pictures or videos of this process? I have never ventured into any steering system in any type of vehicle before.

2 While I am in there is it a good idea to replace the turn signal lever while i'm in there? mine is loose and wobbly and the wiper twist doesn't work it just goes round and round and round .....

Maybe someone could snap a few pics if they are going in for some other reason. I'd like to find a nice walk through I've tried before but can't seem to get past the cover.

Thanks

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
The neutral safety switch isn't inside the column, it's down at the base. Should be held in place with an 8mm bolt. Just loosen enough so that you can nudge a bit until the lights come on. But becareful you don't go too far. Set the parking brake before starting and be sure it only cranks in park and neutral. If you move it around too much it will start in reverse and or drive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What about the process of putting it in Neutral then moving the plastic piece on the top of the column all the way towards the passenger side. Then you just put it back into Park and it re-aligns itself?

I tried this method and I got my reverse lights to work one time out of 5 tries. my shifter is a little floppy though so I need to check out the bushing underneath.

now the method Bobby78 spoke about? does that require unbolting the steering column? I don't see how you could do it other wise

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
The neutral safety switch isn't inside the column, it's down at the base. Should be held in place with an 8mm bolt. Just loosen enough so that you can nudge a bit until the lights come on. But becareful you don't go too far. Set the parking brake before starting and be sure it only cranks in park and neutral. If you move it around too much it will start in reverse and or drive.
X2..what he said..no,you don't need to remove the column.If you can,run a jumper wire and bypass the switch to see if your light bulb are good and to check for power,if so, and not the lights,check the switch and replace if needed..:dontknow:
:beer:

·
Registered
52 Posts
aight i'll take a look at it again. I think my switch is jacked up somehow. I'm slightly fat and getting down there to check is alittle tough LOL :nanawrench:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts