El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Year and Model: 1985 El Camino
Engine Specs and Modifications: In 350, out 305
Drivetrain Specs and Modifications: 200-4r, Limited slip Diff with 3.73 gear ratio

Starting this thread to sort of keep me motivated, as my engine swap kind of developed into a whole lot more work :nanawrench:

Picked up this engine mild 350 4bolt mains a couple weeks ago from a member here Kerno you can kinda see his beautiful beast in the background (modifications to come)

Started my engine swap last week when I began with this POS 305, began labeling disconnecting wiring harness and vacuum lines etc. The wiring was completely distroyed by the P.O and many of the plugs were either disconnected or melted, lots of wires were stripped. Im amazed there wasn't a fire when I use to drive it.

Front Clip and Cowl hood off and in the bed

Tragic discoverys :let_it_all_out:
Damaged AC box

Example one of many damaged/ cut wires just hanging

Even CA cars are not safe, looks like something punctures the floor board and was just sealed with silicone which probably led to rust next to it

Damaged wheel wells

More to come! :nanawrench:

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine and trans coming out!

Mission Complete :smileyb:

BTW I dont have a uni brow, those of you with glasses can probably relate. When you feel your glasses failing off your face us 4 eyes tend to push them back up by the bridge of our nose. I just happened to do it with grease on my fingers LOL. Ive actually walked in public like that without a clue as to why people are staring when I go to auto zone or something

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The aftermath:

Engine bay I will be cleaning and painting.

exhaust

Stupid leaking stearing box, which has cause massive amounts of caked on grease and grime

Althought it did keep steering parts protected from rust and bushings lubricated lol

Pics of exhuast system now for sale! I have headers and true dulas coming.

Bolts on to factory 305 manifolds like mine which are pictured in other post.

Straight pipe no cat (although can be added simply and cheaply), 1 flowmaster, dual tips dumps behind wheels, does not require special cross member. Very good condition, no rust, tips have good chrome they are just very dirty the cars been sitting for months. It is very loud even with that POS 305 I was running, it sets off alarms....(if your close enough..haha)

Dont know why it looks like its cut off in the middle in this pic but its not

Chrome Tip, has one on both sides

More updates mañana!

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I''m getting a lot done, disassembled the front end today. I will post more pics sunday when I have the front end assembled again.

Kern thanks I will try and use the schematics on my haynes manual first although its probably very vauge. I have a couple things to take care of before I get to the wiring. About the steering box I am in need of a new one but I'm looking for a quick ratio box out of a monte carlo ss perferably. Pm me the details

Also any one know how to remove the pitman arm off the box?, I have been unsuccessful so far. I have tried using the ball joint seperator, a BFH, and about all I can think of. Or will the new steering box come with it already pressed on?

· Registered
794 Posts
Pitman-arm puller daddy-0. I got three of um. Doesn't help much, I know! I had to pull one on a jeep, and thought I was going to have to heat the pitman arm to get it off. Do you have a partstore that 'rents' out tools like a pitman arm puller? That would be the best way to go. If you buy one, don't buy a cheap one...

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dissasembled the Front end this weekend

My order came in Sat to rebuild steering linkage/ front end. New idler arm, inner, outer tie rods, sleeves, centerlink, upper and lower ball joints, sway bar endlinks and frame mounts. Price for generic replacement parts was less than half the price of moog, I was really tempted but I don't want to have to do this twice any time soon. And for the price this car better ride like a caddy!

Springs and shocks and control arm bushings were relatively new before I let the car sit. So they will be reused

Proms coming soon, so guess who needs money. Bro degreasing, to get parts ready for paint.

Frame, control arms, sway bars, jounce bars clean and ready for sanding and paint..

I got the frame and everything above sanded and hit them with two coats of rustoleum rusty metal primer and will get them painted within a couple days and post some pics. It looks a hell of alot better!

Fun stuff, engine goodies, felpro gaskets, arp bolts, cloyes true double roller, comps cam and lifter magnum 270h, headers and distributor should be arriving tomorrow.

· Registered
69 Posts
Steering Box

Looks like your doing a good job. Now would be a great time to change the body mounts.
On my 86, I used a steering box out of an 88 Camero Iroc. (HD)with the IROC pitman arm. Ended up with 2.5 turns lock to lock. The was a little interference, but the grinder took care of it.
rally169

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been sanding, wire wheeling, and painting a lot lately so heres some updates:

Sorry for the bad picture quality, I was using an old phone that had a good camera but while degreasing I got it wet and it died on me. :let_it_all_out: Just imagine everything 10 times better!

Frame in primer

Control arms, jounce bars, sway bars in primer.

Sway bars and jounce bars in red. I know its cliche, I really wanted them a dark purple but couldn't find the paint locally and didn't want to order it. Plus my lady said to do it red so i dedicated those parts to her. lol They look a lot better in person, its a real dark red.

Frame and control arms are gloss black, not as shiny as you would think.

Paint needs to cure for a week so I should start reassembling this weekend.

Also got the engine ready for paint, but there hasn't been much sun lately so waiting for the weather to clear up first. Then the fun starts :nanawrench:

· Registered
450 Posts
i spent awhile cleaning up that mess too on mine...yours is looking better then mine.

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took a trip to the wrecking yard and came up on an upper fan shroud, a grand prix bar, a couple radiater x braces, a couple front spoilers, and fender to core support braces, so it was a good day.

Then I got the Firewall + master cylinder painted

Suspension reassembled and steering (almost) and it finally has its shoes on again...

Also got the block painted a couple days ago so I'm still waiting for the paint to cure and then I should be starting with the cam and lifter swap, new timing set, manifold, and I'm still trying to decide which carb to use. Its between SMI quadrajet and the two other usual suspect, Holly or Edelbrock.

Couple questions
I finally got the pitman arm off after almost beating it to death.. pitman arm puller didn't help, so i used a heat gun and hammered it off which worked pretty smoothly. Now the problem is I cannot get it on the new steering box. :censored:
I have already tried heating it again and lightly hammering on it and its half way there but I dont want to damege the new box. Any suggestions?

Also since I wont be using the computer anymore and if I still want to use a quadrajet, would I have to use a non electronic one and if so how would you set up the choke? and could you convert it to electric choke?

Thanks

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the pitman arm on and torque'd down onto the new steering box :nanawrench:.

I had to rent a 34mm axle nut socket and a 1/2inch torque wrench from autozone to get it to 185 ft/lbs.

Still need some carb advice. Anybody?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.